Recent content by Adamowski

1. Adamowski

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Nov 14, 2012
  2. Adamowski

Another scammer on that auction site

I'm going through a similar situation with the sale of a high end Center Channel Speaker. I described it as tested working because it was. I'm not sure if the buyer has remorse or doesn't know how to hook it up properly but claimed "only one cone is working" (speaker has 4 drivers). Which leads...
  3. Adamowski

What weird or dumb beliefs did you have when you were new to Audio?

As a teenager I assumed the newer digital tuners in receivers made them better than the older analog tuners. So therefore, the receiver itself must be improved. So I gave a friend my dad's Kenwood KR-3600/4600, don't remember which. And I kept the cheesy JC Penny MCS 3224 receiver I found in the...
  4. Adamowski

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Bookshelf Loudspeakers $48.30

...per pair now on the Jeff Bezos site.
  5. Adamowski

Equipment you feel is super underrated?

Pinnacle and Boston Acoustics speakers from the late 90's, early 00's. Nondescript black ash boxes but sound great, with surprising bass. Nakamichi Stasis receivers. Look like BPC but have great sound and build quality.
  6. Adamowski

If you only had $200 for bookshelf spk's new or old, which ones: Go -->

JBL L1 would be my preferred choice for a limit of $200 and 10 inches wide x 16 inches high.
  7. Adamowski

Forgotten Little Gem - MCS 3237 Receiver

I had the MCS 3224, a lower power version of the 3237. In the late 1980's during high school, I was visiting my middle school and came across it left out for the trash outside my old band room. Since I took electronics shop class, I had a feeling I could repair it. So, I opened it up and turned...
  8. Adamowski

The amazing Bose 141 speakers

Assuming Bose 141? Move speaker so that slot port faces down. Then just push down slightly on the top edge of the grill and pull off. There are no pegs attached to the grill to worry about. I would guess the driver is OK, as it has a rubber surround. These speakers are great paired with mini...
  9. Adamowski

Songs that must be played at top volume to be fully experienced

Alan Parsons Project - Sirius. Then turn the volume down a little when Eye In The Sky comes on :)
  10. Adamowski

Is this an (Onkyo) HDMI Board Problem?

My TX-NR609 had very similar issues. Sent it in via this program and it was repaired. FYI Onkyo extended the program through end of 2018. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1652514-onkyo-acknowledges-failed-units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html
  11. Adamowski

Audio System and genres of Music

I agree that certain setups are suited better to different genres. For example, I have used modern components (e.g., Lepai LP-2020A+ with Andrew Jones bookshelf speakers) that sounded outstanding with EDM (Electronic Dance Music). Not that I'm a fan of the genre...only played while flipping...
  12. Adamowski

Good low cost speaker? Old or new? Office/Gameroom

Meeting your budget and size requirements, for the bass performance and overall sound I like Paradigm Mini Monitors and JBL L1.
  13. Adamowski

Are full range driver loudspeakers time/phase coherent ?

In terms of full range speakers before you go DIY, I would recommend trying out a pair of Bose 141 speakers. A lot of people bash Bose, but this particular design is a 4.5" "Star" driver which is pretty flat from 63-15 kHz (tested with with a SPL meter app). And, if your amp/receiver has a...
  14. Adamowski

Neighbor's JBL stash

Not to be conceited or anything but being from So Cal if I moved to Virginia due to the cost of living I could afford to have nice speakers just hanging around too. Make them an offer, he/she may want to thin the herd.
  15. Adamowski

Small Office Speakers

I'm not a Bose fanboy by any means but I use Bose 141 in a similar application. Single driver 4 1/2" but has great bass for the size, much better than the Minimus. Give them a try you may be surprised. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-amazing-bose-141-speakers.433734/
Back
Top Bottom