Recent content by beansprout

1. beansprout

Question concerning the wiring of two sets AR2AX speakers

Yes, identical speakers and identical crossovers. Answers my question, Thanks!
  2. beansprout

I was more curious as to the effect, if one runs two speakers on one channel in series, the effect on the crossovers being in series. I mean if you had two full range speakers in series without crossovers, no big deal, the amp is just seeing a different impedance. But if you have two speakers...
  3. beansprout

I recall hearing that some folks would have dual sets of the famous AR2AX speakers. I think they would set one speaker on top of another on each channel. I know you could wire those without issue if you had two sets of outputs on your amp, but what If you only had one set of output channels...
  4. beansprout

dual concentric speaker drivers

Ah yes, I see, but the drivers are all kind of small. I was hoping to be in the 8" range or so.
  5. beansprout

dual concentric speaker drivers

Last winter I built a set of speakers using concentric drivers and really like the sound. So, I had another idea for homemade speakers that would employ dual concentric drivers, but can't seem to find suppliers for such speakers. There seem to be many such speakers available for car audio and...
  6. beansprout

tube preamp mated with class d amplifier

Glad you raised that point since I never thought to check impedance levels. That is the kind of information that the advertisers don't make very well known and only people in the know think about.
  7. beansprout

tube preamp mated with class d amplifier

I've been interested in experimenting with a tube pre on a class D amplifier. I want to keep the price "low" by looking at used like ARC LS-17SE or new like Quicksilver line stage, non remote for around $1,000. The only problem I have with a new Quicksilver is the lack of reviews, hard to find...
  8. beansprout

Dedicated Class D amplifier suggestion

Thanks for all the excellent and thoughtful responses. I want to study each suggestion, but those Emotiva monoblocks look pretty. interesting...
  9. beansprout

Dedicated Class D amplifier suggestion

I have a desire to experiment with class D, however it seems hard to find mainstream brands that carry it. My idea is to have a class d non-integrated amp so I can experiment with different preamps to see how it affects sound. NAD has a number of class D options, but they are all integrated...
  10. beansprout

My tube amp evolution

Good to know. They told me the KT120's were freshly installed so you're probably right that they replaced the lower power factory tubes. I guess the heat from the transformer, while surprising to me may not be unusual for this style of amp and if the 120's draw more current it is to be expected...
  11. beansprout

My tube amp evolution

I bought a cheap Chinese tube amp to get a tase of the tube experience as well as the ambience of the glowing tubes. I have a nice SS system in my living room and added this to the opposite side of the living room on a bookshelf along with a set of bookshelf speakers. The glow was nice and the...
  12. beansprout

B&W 805 S2 speakers

Does anyone have any experience with the 805 S2 speakers? I have found a pair locally on sale for $2600. They look to be in perfect condition, but I can find very little about them online. I have seen a lot of information on the 805 and the 805 S3, but not the S2. I am interested in how they...
  13. beansprout

Elochen EL34 tube amp tube

Hey FlaCharlie, I opened up the bottom of my amp and it appears there is a 100uF capacitor that is in line with the rectifier tube. So on your recommendation, I'd like to get a 47uF, 450 volt to replace it. If I order one through Madison, what exactly do I specify other than 47 uf 450 vac...
  14. beansprout

Thanks for all the great advice! And, yes, Laochen...pardon my typo.
  15. beansprout

I have an inexpensive tube amplifier that has 5U4G tube, rectifier tube (I think) that sometimes has little lightning bolts on power-up. Once, it made a flash that was bright enough to light up my living room. From what i've read here, this may be impurities in the tube. My question: Should I be...
Back
Top Bottom