Recent content by BionicKoala

1. BionicKoala

Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

I would say my 2 shelf original build was easier to access and view, but it depends on your required capacity. My 3 shelf holds about 1000 albums/12 inches. - In my home environment I would say LED lighting is necessary. I have thought about having the records side-on 'book shelf style' on the...
  2. BionicKoala

Great! Looks just like my first build! :). Even a similar colour to mine. MDF doesn't seem to be a popular choice on this Forum, but it's easy to work with and a much less expensive alternative to many other wood types. Everyone was complaining about the sky-rocketing cost of wood after the...
  3. BionicKoala

I was massively lucky. My Plywood was free from a B&Q DIY store here in the UK. The edges had been damaged so it was offered as 'scrap'. They still cut it down for me in store for Free too. The castors came off a trolley I found in a junkyard/tip. The lamp was made by my daughter in 'Tech' at...
  4. BionicKoala

Like it. Particularly the two tiers. Not big enough for my needs though.
  5. BionicKoala

No, it's not an issue. I'm happy with my build number 2. Just interested to know what guys like yourself where doing after building several? ( Such as having garages or spare rooms full of them! o_O ) My current 3 tier with top shelf will see me through for a fare while yet. it has a capacity...
  6. BionicKoala

Really , really nice. Very well made by the looks of it. A question for anyone who has modified their designs and built new units: My daughter has my original build, as she now has a turntable and collects too. What did you do with your previous unit? They're such heavy cumbersome things!
  7. BionicKoala

Thanks. The records move forward very easily and safely. I'm keeping CDs in there at the moment, as I have a dedicated 7inch box elsewhere.
  8. BionicKoala

Lighting installed :) The two lower tiers have USB LED strips. ( A product designed to back-light a modern Television set ). For the top I have utilized a USB lamp that my 13 year old daughter made in D.T. ( Design Technology ) in school. She's really chuffed that she's helped my build and...
  9. BionicKoala

That is a lovely grain. Wonderful choice. - My previous 2 where MDF and Pine ply, mainly due to financial constraint and actual availability. If I where to go for a natural wood finish it would definitely be something along these lines. Well done so far, and good luck with color matching.
  10. BionicKoala

No I don't i'm afraid , it was a quick 'by eye' sketch. My personal opinion on this design is that 5 bins wide gives you more space than you need. 4 wide with 1 bin either side of your tech seems more practical to me. Going 6 wide would make a very large and cumbersome beast. Very difficult...
  11. BionicKoala

@ShedEndBlue - Well done and welcome. Lovely to see my design 'tweak' being replicated again :) Having that shelf is such a practical benefit and makes no difference to it's function. Allows easy installation of upper lighting too.
  12. BionicKoala

Well done. Nice. You and I appear to be the only ones giving MDF a go. I liked it because it has clean edges, easier to sand and paint, not prone to splitting, and you can paint it any colour without grain showing.
  13. BionicKoala

So more like this?
  14. BionicKoala

So given the width of a turrntable, you will need to remove 2 dividers each from the top 2 tiers, leaving you with one bin either side and 9 free bins altogether? I would definitely put a central foot under the unit if it isn't flat on the floor, and batons or even shelf brackets under the...
  15. BionicKoala

I Googled and it is really easy to get almost anywhere. It's either called grip-mat, or non-slip mat. Comes in lots of different sizes and colours.
Back
Top Bottom