Recent content by Bradbrews

1. Bradbrews

Boston Acoustics T1030’s

I started refoaming the woofers and took a look at the other crossover. It is from the speaker that had all working drivers. It appears original, all BA brand e caps. Looking again at the speaker that has the bad film cap for the tweeter I notice that the two caps that are not BA branded are...
  2. Bradbrews

Fun Factoid Of The Day

Stevie Ray Vaughan played on Bowies hit “Let’s Dance “
  3. Bradbrews

MPX decoders with LA3401 chip

I’m going to add a cap and fix the de-emphasis. I am getting decent separation with it now. I do have this Eico, which I suspect can do the job, but I don’t have a manual and have never used it.
  4. Bradbrews

Baby Advent?

That’s a pretty simple crossover. Check the resistor with your meter. Look at all the connections. In a pinch you could even run jumpers directly to the tweeter to verify functionality, just keep the volume down and turn the base all the way down on the receiver.
  5. Bradbrews

Bad cap?

Most bad caps seem to have enough internal leakage to self discharge pretty quickly. If the cap is holding a charge for any significant period of time it’s probably not in too bad of shape.
  6. Bradbrews

I agree on the difficulty of working with double sided boards, plated holes and lead free solder! For adjusting separation, do you just go by ear? Thanks
  7. Bradbrews

Testing bipolar electrolytics

Doh! I forgot that I had the jumpers for bi-wiring installed. Removing them gave me expected results.
  8. Bradbrews

Looking at the crossover further I may be getting interactions with the rest of the circuit. I’ll have to check if I have a bipolar cap around to check out of circuit. Anyway still curious.
  9. Bradbrews

Using my cheap little TC-1 component tester on the E caps in some crossovers I get values that seem to be double the size printed on the caps. I know that two polarized caps back to back could substitute for a bipolar cap. Just a sanity check here, but does anyone know if that’s to be expected...
  10. Bradbrews

Recapping Advice

Welcome to AK!
  11. Bradbrews

Do I want HD Radio?

I jumped on the HD radio right after it came out. I have a Sangean, a Sony, and got a JVC for my 1995 Boneville. For about 5 years it was great. The local classic rock station WCSX had a lot deeper programming on the HD2 station than the normal one and zero commercials! I called the DJ once to...
  12. Bradbrews

Todays Transfer Station Haul *Updated*

Might just be the camera but one of the tubes in back seems to be a bit too red in the center of the plate.
  13. Bradbrews

Boston Acoustics T1030’s

Digging into this it appears that the original Bennic 3.3uF cap for the tweeter is Mylar. Should I get another Mylar cap or switch to Polypropylene?
  14. Bradbrews

Thanks for that Bob! I don’t have a 510, but I do have a 511. The cap is marked 511 as well. Would this be the one?
  15. Bradbrews

Boston Acoustics T1030’s

Back when these were new I thought they were second only to the B&W 801’s in the audition room of Alma’s hifi. When a pair in Walnut showed up close to me I decided I needed to check them out. Upon inspection I noticed that they needed foams on the woofer’s. One of them also had some water...
Back
Top Bottom