Recent content by brillcat

1. brillcat

The P-Mount owners club

The original cartridge is an AT 8008. The seller reports he acquired the TT (and a lot of other gear and LPs) from a friend's dad and that it saw little use due to the owner's upgrading. It ships in the original box. I'll know more when it gets here. Question: Is there an easy way to determine...
  2. brillcat

The P-Mount owners club

Hello, I am about to acquire a well-preserved Technics SL-QD22 and need a P-mount cartridge recommendation. My listening is 95% jazz (50s-70s) and my cartridge budget is $100. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
  3. brillcat

I’m out of touch..need advice please!

UPDATE: Stratospherix's MusicStreamer has been working seamlessly so far. The browser is quite functional and once indexed, the d-base stays intact. It has a lot of features I have yet to explore but as a far as meeting my goal -- streaming ALAC files stored on an SSD connected to the network...
  4. brillcat

Right, forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. Stratospherix also makes MusicStreamer, which seems better tailored for music. I'll check out both apps and let you know.
  5. brillcat

The MBP was purchased solely for my business use and I am using it every day, so it was *kinda* there from the beginning of this journey. But I'm with you, it's probably not the best blank-sheet-of-paper solution. UPDATE: The iPhone wants to reindex the entire library of files on the SSD...
  6. brillcat

Good news -- with the SSD attached to the USB port on the Time Capsule, Music on the MBP pointing to the new SSD location, and with Media Sharing turned on in the MBP and iPhone, my iPhone easily read the SSD files and streams them to the Yamaha RN303. Works even with Music turned off on the...
  7. brillcat

Sorry if this was not clear -- the goal is to play ALAC files (stored on an SSD) to the RN303 without having to lug my MBP around the house with the SSD attached. (And also, not spending any more than necessary.) In the latest scenario, I am exploring using the iPhone as a controller. I would...
  8. brillcat

Once I can view/access those ALAC files on my iPhone, it seems I could just stream via AirPlay from the iPhone to the RN303. But I am away for a few days and won't be able to test this out today -- will report back later in the week.
  9. brillcat

Another option I just uncovered is turning on Media Sharing in my MBP and on the iPhone. I found the directions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202190. I am traveling but as soon as I return I will connect my SSD to the wireless home network and see if I can access the files from Music...
  10. brillcat

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.
  11. brillcat

Oh that's an interesting idea, thanks. I have a Time Capsule mounted behind the Motorola BGW210-700 gateway (its USB port is for charging only). The TC has a USB port that supports an external drive. Assuming I can configure the SSD as a NAS, then are you saying the Yamaha RN303 should be able...
  12. brillcat

Reading this thread, I realize my situation is a lot like the original op's. I've got about 1Tb of ALAC files ripped (using iTunes/Music) to an SSD external drive that I want to stream losslessly to my Yamaha RN303 network receiver. Can't stream losslessly from my MBP via AirPlay, apparently...
  13. brillcat

Any Thoughts on Schiit Mani vs Pro-Ject Phono Box DC

I see you posted this almost 5 months ago, but for what it's worth I have a Pro-Ject Phono Box MM on my Fluance RT-81. I bought a "renewed" unit on AMZ for about $55 and it looks good and works well. I am very happy with the SQ in my system.
  14. brillcat

Near field speaker suggestions needed please

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated :rockon:
  15. brillcat

Near field speaker suggestions needed please

Thanks. Any thoughts on the Micca MB42 or 42X? Thinking the X might sound pretty bright on all those reflective surfaces...
Back
Top Bottom