Recent content by CruzBay

1. CruzBay

Nuts and Volts 2022 issue 4 has a rebuild process of an MC-240 amplifier

I'm not component literate like Patrice or many others, but one anomaly I saw was when he changed the power supply diode he added a 100 ohm resistor, I always thought it was a 470 Ohm or something like that. I'm tempted to swap out what I can get to.
  2. CruzBay

I'd love if they'd included a parts list...
  3. CruzBay

Was getting a new monitor for my son a few days ago at Microcenter and noticed an issue of Nuts and Volts in the checkout with an article on rebuilding of a Mcintosh 240.
  4. CruzBay

Acoustat 2+2 thoughts?

A good friend has a pair and they're one of the best sounding speakers, but as with most electrostats you need to be sitting in a dentist's chair to stay in the sweet spot and the deep bass isn't there with most amplifiers. We tried an Adcom 555, then 2 Adcom 555's- they didn't work, what he...
  5. CruzBay

At what temperature do you solder?

Been awhile, but 680 for me.
  6. CruzBay

Will 8 ohm speakers work with a 16 ohm output receiver

Use 2 8 Ohm speakers per channel in series.
  7. CruzBay

Vintage SS McIntosh Power Amp, Pre Amp, and Tuner Power Connections: Best Practices

Bottom right, first PDF, shows the relay. Good catch 'caddy. Second image is the block diagram with a less technical explanation.
  8. CruzBay

Mc2155 vs mc2255

You probably won't need an active (outboard) crossover as it's likely that your speakers will take care of the frequency allocations via the existing components. In most actively crossed systems, the inboard crossovers will be in 'series' with the active crossover so the inboard crossovers are...
  9. CruzBay

It's not the tubes. It's the transformer!

-Derail=1- one of my MC-240's had been modified where it's base was mounted to a rack plate blank and the innards were modified to accept a volume control on the plate. I was told it ran the sound system in a 60's roller rink. And there was a trio of K-107's available locally here a time ago...
  10. CruzBay

The MC2500 - Best Value Proposition?

Hi Jeff, you probably know this, but the differences between the 2255 and 7270 are minor, mostly the removal of the stuff that really didn't change things. The '7300 was a new beast, redesigned for instant current, something the old style autoformer couldn't do. Cool! Mike
  11. CruzBay

The MC2500 - Best Value Proposition?

The 2255's can run 500 watts into 16 ohms in mono. I apologize to your speakers in advance. https://audio-database.com/MCINTOSH/amp/mc2255-e.html Some of your other amps might also run that load, but in mono. Don't remember which ones, though.
  12. CruzBay

Any recommendations for high quality casters for use with subwoofer/speaker stacks?

McmasterCarr has everything, including good descriptions of how the devices work- down to the durometer ratings of the wheels. https://www.mcmaster.com/products/standard-casters/ I think you're looking for carpet dollies, though, to retain your cabinet build... They have them too, but as...
  13. CruzBay

HELP! Inherited my dad's Mac1900 but no volume out of left...

Put RCA cables in place of the jumpers, then you can swap right/left and see if the problem is in the preamp section or the power section.
  14. CruzBay

aluminum rails for mc 2300

There's a parts unit on the auction site that has the rails. (yes, old thread, I know)
  15. CruzBay

Considering investing. Curious about differences between models mc250 ma5100 mc2125 mc2002 use with magnepans. And compared to other amps.

On heat sink temperature, I was told that it's a combination of power across the device and the amount of voltage drop together. At one watt the device is dropping a lot of voltage from the rails, but not passing much current- so low heat. At high wattage levels the device is passing a lot of...
Back
Top Bottom