D
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media About

• I have recently set up a high(er) efficiency set up with a yamaha CA-2010 in class A and some homebrew 2 way speakers, and although they probably get about the same volume, having the lower efficiency speakers with some horsepower behind them really brings out nuances in volume and tone which gives the music more depth, more realism.

I would love to see any pics of the 5's you've got. Just so...you know...i can make sure you're telling the truth..

Cheers!
    Thanks for the response!

Yes, I seem to always be messing with these speakers. So far, I've found that my 3's really come alive about 9ft apart with my playing DVD-A with a VSX07tx acting as a preamp and a NAD 2700(150wpc). They eat up the power. Someone on the forum recommended that they can handle 220wpc easily. I've talked to John Strohbeen of Ohm and he had a few insights. Of course his fav option was to upgrade ($$$), but after talking to him, I am convinced that the 3 may a better speaker than the 4 for 90% of listening. I have never seen, much less heard a set of 5's and am envious of you, if not for the fidelity, than for the rarity.

My set up is in an awkward room as well that bleeds into the kitchen. the way these speakers fill the room is perfect, and I can still walk over and sit in the sweet spot with great imaging and placement.
    Dan, My message was too long so I broke it up into 3. Hope you got them all. Sorry, didn't know there was a size limit when I started typing.
    Nutshell, Yamaha high current sounds best to my ears on them, and more-so than conventional speakers -- the Ohm's are phenonenal in 2 pair setups.

Oh yea - I have found the best position to be about 8 feet apart and 8-16 inches away from the wall -- whatever the wife will tolerate. I articulate the faces toward each other a little also. If you don't know, the placement is important with respect to the logo's. Do you have an owners manual?

Cheers!, Dale
    With 2 pair of 3's it sounded great, not like box speakers that can interfere, real genuine staging happened. Then I added a Pioneer GR-777 EQ and it just got better. I had buddies listen and they just got speachless over the fidelity.
    OK, then I found a pair of 5's -- yes I did (only 500 pair ever made). I persuaded the owner to hold them while I drove 150 miles out of my way to get them. I swapped a pair of 3's with the 5's on the open side of the room and slid the balance a little that way and it filled the room easier. The downside is a possible impedence issue now as the best sound is a 5 on both A & B left (4 ohm) & a 3 on A & B right (8 ohm on bottom of cab, 4 ohm on web site, Strohbeen has forgot). Just got a Pioneer A-88X dual mono block 2 ohm stable integrated amp that would give more piece of mind but I like the 797 for the remote and the progressive loudness control.
    Hey Dan,

I havn't been on here in a while and I just noticed your message.So if you're still tweeking configurations;

I have a unique room to fill as it is open on one side and has tall vaulted cielings with wood floor, wall and cieling. I live in a remote area of fly-over-country and just don't have access to a lot of high-end stuff, so my comparative knowledge is limited for the typical entusiast on this forum.
    The 3's as just a pair did well with my old Yamaha 5.1. set on just fronts, but something was lacking. So I hooked up an old school Onkyo 2 channel @ 45 watts and determined the Onkyo had been to its last jam and re-shelved it. After a Pioneer VS-D1X 5.1 @ 110 watts, I went back to 2 channel with a new Yamaha RX-797 and then the magic happenned. The 3's woke up, the clarity and detail was there that I was looking for. Then I found another pair of 3's in San Fran and persuaded the owner to mail em to me off of CL (thats how I have to get most of my stuff).
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom