Recent content by david1111

1. david1111

Epi 120C opinions?

Yep, @Vermontaigne had the same good thots. And @Tucker99 mentioned both EPIs and Genesis speakers, which reminded me that that same Ex-brother-in-law also did the same thing to my sisters speakers which were a nice pair of Genesis speakers.
  2. david1111

The Age Old Debate On AK. Spend Money On Speakers Or Spend Money On Upstream Electronics.

In my experiences, I have been astounded many times at how good a basic pair of speakers can sound with excellent ellectronics driving them. I have also been shocked many times at how awful an expensive pair of speakers can sound when being driven by basic electrinics. But, of course, these are...
  3. david1111

rare/unknown speakers that are better than popular choice

@Sgt.Pepsi A good friend of mine had some Cizek's and just loved them. They did sound really good. I remember listening to the entire Allmans at Filmore East on them one night while we were hangin and chatting. I think he still has them.
  4. david1111

@GetBusyLivin Nice score. Great to be in the right place at the right time.
  5. david1111

Hi Bob. Wow, that's an excellent story, I'd love to meet the guy. You're very lucky to have a pair of those. They're certainly rare and very cool. I had mine hooked up to a Mac MC2105 and a McIntosh tube peramp/tuner which I can't remember the model number of. But they sounded excellent. I...
  6. david1111

Thoughts on used cd players??

I read a post where a member ordered one from China and it played everything except SACDs, so he complained to them and they sent him a second unit and it worked fine. That was the ones that are around $80. But the tech I used to use told me to source the replacements from Europe that are $300...
  7. david1111

McIntosh MX 112 Restoration

Oh right, I can see that now, it wasn't as clear on my cell phone. Nice amp too.
  8. david1111

McIntosh MX 112 Restoration

Nice job. I had an MX 113 back in the day. Beautiful unit. Mated to an MC 2105. I may go that route again sometime. I have to say though that stacking audio components is not a good idea. Happy listening, it must sound excellent.
  9. david1111

Are "vintage" DACs worthwhile, or is this a tech that does not age well?

@arteki I think vintage Dacs can be a good thing these days, purely because of the price some of them can be had for, but usually the benefit would apply to the higher-end Dacs. My first Dac was a Musical Fidelity, about 4 years ago, and it was very good. I paid $500 for a $2000 Dac, but now it...
  10. david1111

Hawkeye83's systems

Yes, I did consider some super tweeters with them, and I'll probably give that a try once we move. The room can make a big difference. The second edition Townshends are only about 800.00 on Amazon. And I can understand you not wanting to mess with your restored set of 107's.
  11. david1111

Hawkeye83's systems

Another friend of mine had Quad 57s. He was very experienced in audio gear, and he always insisted that the Quad 57s were the best sounding speaker ever made. He wasn't local, and sadly, I never got to hear them before he died last year. There's an old pair of Arden's on Canuck Audio Mart right...
  12. david1111

Hawkeye83's systems

Yes, you really had a good chunk of gear there. Kind of enviable, really. At my best times (worse times?), I only ever had about a third of your accumulation. Very impressive!! When I did the crossovers in the R107s, it took a good long while for them to settle in. But they eventually did, and...
  13. david1111

Hawkeye83's systems

Hey Hawkeye. You must have very good taste in speakers cuz I have a pair of R107s in walnut, and my buddy has a pair of Tannoy Ardens. Both sets have been refurbished, but I believe his Ardens still need the crossovers recapped. Anyway, congrats on the three great systems that you finished up...
Back
Top Bottom