Recent content by Dncg4charlie

1. Dncg4charlie

Showdown: Technics SA-616 vs Onkyo A-5

Oh wow, I hadn’t opened mine up yet. I’m definitely going to get rid of the Onkyo. I feel like the Technics drives my speakers so effortlessly and even though I enjoy the onkyo it’s not as easy to listen to for hours on end. Plus, no built-in tuner… ‍♂️
  2. Dncg4charlie

Numbers for everything: SA-616: Power output: 80 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo) Frequency response: 5Hz to 70kHz Total harmonic distortion: 0.005% Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line) Signal to noise ratio: 82dB (MM), 100dB (line) Output: 150mV (line) Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to...
  3. Dncg4charlie

So I decided to bust out my old EV FR12-2 speakers in my den to complement my Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 + Cambridge Audio CXA61 in my living room. For the EV's, I'm running a lossless digital source through a Schiit Modi 3e through one of the amps mentioned in my title. There's no easy way to A/B...
  4. Dncg4charlie

HELP! AR 2AX vs. Wharfedale Diamond 225 vs. Klipsch RP-160

I promise I have a discerning ear. I’m also very very particular when it comes to spending money and don’t like making the “wrong” choices, haha.
  5. Dncg4charlie

Thanks! Small living room, no sub (nor do I want one). Replacing my EV FR12-2’s for space constraints. They round off pretty quickly at 80Hz but I am used to the big effortless sound they provide. Amp is currently a low-end Onkyo HT but an old Yammy A-760 is on the horizon. I run a TT and Apple...
  6. Dncg4charlie

Here’s a link to the Ebay posting. Not many details, but possibly helpful? https://ebay.us/DA02SX
  7. Dncg4charlie

Getting new speakers and I’m having a hard time deciding. My options are the three listed in the title: AR-2AX Klipsch RP-160 Wharfedale Diamond 225 I know these are all drastically different speakers, but please tell me if there’s anything inherently better about one than the others. If it...
  8. Dncg4charlie

Tube DAC to Solid State Integrated?

Bahahaha. That was supposed to read “gf’s dad’s Yamaha.” I’m still trying to convince my gf that my loudspeakers are worth the footprint :D
  9. Dncg4charlie

Excellent. At some point this year I’m going to get my hands on my GF’s Yamaha A-760 for free and I figured since I’ll need a DAC, I might as well do it up!
  10. Dncg4charlie

Onkyo or Yamaha?

Ah, that’s great to hear! I’m using EV FR12-2’s right now, which I love dearly but lack a little in detail and imaging. Anything I can do to reveal clarity at the source is a welcome addition to the rig.
  11. Dncg4charlie

Onkyo or Yamaha?

Ha. To my ears, subs always sound sloppy and detached from the rest of the sounds, unless we’re talking big bucks and a well-tuned listening space. Even then, why go through all that when you can just have loudspeakers with a great bass response? Less processing power, tighter sound. Plus...
  12. Dncg4charlie

This question is more out of curiosity than any practical application at the moment. Eventually I’ll swap out my SS gear for tubes, but the day and dollars have not yet arrived. In the meantime, does it make any sense to run a tube DAC to a solid state integrated? Or does something about the...
  13. Dncg4charlie

Onkyo or Yamaha?

I’d consider it, but only in order to deactivate the sub ;)
  14. Dncg4charlie

Audiophile ear plugs? Any input , opinions?

I use Etymotics as well: Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs, Blue Tip with Clear Stem, 1 Pair Standard Fit I can confirm that it’s easy to have a conversation at normal volume with them in. The one thing I will say (and this may be the case for all or most earplugs) is that they...
  15. Dncg4charlie

Onkyo or Yamaha?

I already have an old Technics SL-1900 in use. I’ll check out the integrated preamp of the Yamaha or keep using my Pro-Ject PhonoBox MkII, depending on how things sound. Don’t care about having a remote. I won’t touch a sub with a ten-foot pole.
Back
Top Bottom