Recent content by Doug G.

1. Doug G.

1960s sears silvertone console stereo - sudden loss of power

See that white label stuck on the inside of the chassis on the right. There is a fuse and I suspect it is in that black, cloth-like cylinder on the right side of the terminal strip. Doug
  2. Doug G.

Modern electronics with vintage speakers - good idea?

There have been more false myths and nonsense generated and perpetuated within the audiophile world than probably any other field of interest. Yes, those old electrons are entirely different from new ones and that old copper is definitely, obviously, far removed from recently mined and refined...
  3. Doug G.

Is a Zerostat working if it doesn't make any noise?

Here are the original instructions from Discwasher: Doug
  4. Doug G.

1980s First Generation Compact Discs - Do They Sound Good or Not?

I worked in the 8-track deck manufacturing industry (at Telex and we made decks for Ford Motor Company) and 8-tracks were still big sellers until the end of the seventies when cassettes really began taking over. By 1982, 8-tracks were pretty much over. Before that, we still sold oodles of decks...
  5. Doug G.

OL Advent questions, please

L1 can't be open because the woofer would not work in the system. Doug
  6. Doug G.

Is a Zerostat working if it doesn't make any noise?

It doesn't matter. It is still relevant. Doug
  7. Doug G.

Any hope for my OLA Advent? Low/muffled output from woofer

The woofer will have to be disassembled to find the problem. The spider is obviously displaced/warped so something is wrong with the position of the voice coil or the voice coil is damaged. Also, check to see if the spider has become detached from the voice coil, either completely or partially...
  8. Doug G.

Cat guard !

Pffft! I have seen dogs run away in terror if a cat so much as twitches a muscle. Doug
  9. Doug G.

Can the Technics SL-5 play at an angle

The main reason for a dynamically balanced tonearm is so you don't have to fuss with getting the turntable absolutely level. The arm will track fine without that requirement. Having the arm track at an angle - 30 degrees, 45 degrees, 90 degrees, even upside down, is merely a dramatic...
  10. Doug G.

Shure M91ED cartridge height

Actually, the tracking height looks fine in the photos BUT, .8 grams VTF is unrealistic. It should be 1 gram or higher. Then see what the height looks like. The low end of manufacturers' VTF specifications is pretty much invariably unrealistic. Doug
  11. Doug G.

CD-r Heroes....??

Reading this thread reminds me of the chaos of digital. Doug
  12. Doug G.

I have heard some pretty incredible cassettes (Lisztronique is a perfect example) but, generally, LPs have always been superior to prerecorded cassettes. Doug
  13. Doug G.

Oh no, I was not holding record producers up as paragons of audiophile goodness. It's just that it is very unlikely they were ignorant of the whole process, even in the early CD days. Believing they were unaware of or purposely ignoring the RIAA curve factor is just not reasonable. Doug
  14. Doug G.

The loudness war era was not a result of ignorance. It was a result of greed. Doug
  15. Doug G.

Something REALLY stuck on my album.

If you're afraid of damaging the vinyl, use a wooden toothpick to rub the spot and see what happens. And, it is very doubtful the stylus will be harmed by letting it ride over the spot. No sense in throwing the record away. Doug
Back
Top Bottom