Recent content by Dr. Jackson

1. Dr. Jackson

PX-3 Tonearm gimble surgery

Hello everyone, One of my extra PX-3's had an abusive life prior to my ownership. The previous owner said he raged out drunk one night and swatted it, and it was never the same afterwards. The problem: there's an IC/circuit that knows timing for different functions. From a dead stop, when...
  2. Dr. Jackson

Final manual for the Yamaha Px-3

Got it, thanks for the tip. I'll post at vinyl engine also, they seem to be the gold standard.
  3. Dr. Jackson

Maybe you failed to recognize the uniqueness of this manual, but I can't tell from so few words.
  4. Dr. Jackson

Px-3 owners, do you think there's a market for the original manual, professionally reproduced? I have the last copy of the px-3 service manual from Yamaha USA. It comes complete with handwritten service notes including part replacement numbers and some other tips. Also has the fold out full...
  5. Dr. Jackson

Sony PS-X800 -- small push buttons needed, or are they hen's teeth?

By the way, nice table. I was curious about the Biotracers, they have some pretty fancy guts.
  6. Dr. Jackson

Yeah this is one of the drawbacks of all the custom stuff Yamaha and Sony did back then. Every button on everything was different, design took precedent over production simplicity. Commonality of parts was never part of the plan I guess. I figured that something like dust cover hinges would be...
  7. Dr. Jackson

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

I bought it on a whim, when I got the email saying it was available for preorder, I snagged a copy. No regrets, it's a pair of 45's and a clean pressing. :)
  8. Dr. Jackson

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

MoFi reissue of Run DMC's Raising Hell. It's a modern classic.
  9. Dr. Jackson

Sounds like hen's teeth to me. That's a fairly rare table, and your best bet is to get an existing owner to measure every dimension of the buttons and get them 3d printed, or find a table that's being parted out. I really wish someone on this planet would release the BOMs (build sheets) for...
  10. Dr. Jackson

Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

Hah, it's no Okki Nokki but you can buy hardware with the difference in price. I bet it worked out just fine.
  11. Dr. Jackson

J A Michell Turntable help/advice

I read about these recently. The models that mention "hydraulic" may need some refreshing of the silicon bath that the speed control paddle sits in. Ingenious bit of engineering, as you crank a knob the angle of the paddle changes and adds or subtracts resistance to rotation. You've got the most...
  12. Dr. Jackson

Parks Audio does it again

Time to sell it, the dude right before you is looking for one. ;)
  13. Dr. Jackson

The cover better than the original

The cadence seems too hurried on both of these songs, I'd cut the bpm down about 20 and really let the vocals breathe. They cram alot of syllables into a short time frame. Still, these ladies can sing and I do like the Cobras rendition.
  14. Dr. Jackson

Yamaha PX-3 linear tracker restore. Tips and advice appreciated.

Thought about this some more. If you look carefully at the carriage while it's at rest and mounted to the table, turned off and shut down, the tonearm bit should sit exactly perpendicular to the carriage assembly. There should be a right-angle gap on either side of it. If this angle is off...
  15. Dr. Jackson

Yamaha PX-3 linear tracker restore. Tips and advice appreciated.

FYI vinyl engine has the service manual in pdf form. Register for an account and you'll have access to their library.
Back
Top Bottom