Recent content by EyeGee

1. EyeGee

McIntosh MAC 4100 Recap

that' a beaut. Congrats on not getting fleeced on Flea-Bay. I traded in my 4100 for a 4300-V (had to have that remote) but sometimes I miss the (non-digital) tuner ....
  2. EyeGee

Are "vintage" DACs worthwhile, or is this a tech that does not age well?

I posted earlier about my Rega DAC. I've now got an older Bryston which sounds fantastic, but I'm hanging onto my Rega because it has 5 filters whereas the later models only have 3 filters. I found some recordings really needed those esoteric (1 Linear phase half-band filter 2 Minimum phase...
  3. EyeGee

Total Newbie needs advice re: speaker selector boxes

Agree with Gary. I've found the Niles SSCV-6 one of the only relatively affordable speaker selector/volume control units that works for me. However check the wire gauge first.
  4. EyeGee

MAC 4100 owners… do you use your equalizer/loudness settings?

I've found the EQ on my 4300 most useful for tweaking redbook CD audio. The CDs vary immensely, and I use a stand-alone DAC. Interestingly, for me playing vinyl keeping all 5 flat (i.e., at 12:00) seems to be the most ear-pleasing. But not for digital audio!
  5. EyeGee

Variable loudness use/ db

The Mc has an excellent variable loudness control, at least on my 4300V. I find I don't need to move it much more than 1/4 of the way around and I rarely do that. Of course, the 4300 also has 5 band eq.
  6. EyeGee

4100 brought back to life, recap thoughts and what not

Regarding the jumpers, there's quite a few sold by cable/IC manufacturers, including Audioquest, Cardas and Kimber I think.
  7. EyeGee

Mac 4100 pre-out/main jumper wanted

Many, many jumpers out there for sale. Essentially they are just a very short I/C.
  8. EyeGee

New to me McIntosh MAC 4300V, questions

I have relay issues with my 4300V as well, haven't tried the CRC cleaner but DeOxit really didn't do it. Fortunately I have a remote control which solves the relays problem, pretty much. I also use the thing daily, and it not only powers 2 sets of speakers, but also used as a pre for a...
  9. EyeGee

Suggest some R2R Ladder DACs

yes, I meant discrete. Wasn't aware of the MassDrop product, but it seems like it is no longer available. I had a Schiit Modi MB and passed it on to somebody at a bargain price. I have no tubes in my set-up and the Schiit was just too cold & brittle. I hate it when that happens. :) I'm...
  10. EyeGee

Suggest some R2R Ladder DACs

I'm still waiting for some R2R to come close to the US$500 mark. Doesn't seem like I'll ever see that.
  11. EyeGee

Mac4100 bookshelf Speaker recommendations

I have a pair of DynAudio M20s which sound great with the Mac. Bass in particular is excellent. They are rear ported but I have the ports partially plugged up. I also run a pair of Sonus Faber which are front slot ported. I found that bookshelf speakers with metal or metal alloy tweeters...
  12. EyeGee

The Wharfedale Evo 4.2 my new reference!

Recent "Audio Beatnik" review would qualify as a rave: https://theaudiobeatnik.com/review-wharfedale-evo4-2-bookshelf-speakers/
  13. EyeGee

Garbage-picked a pair of Grafyx SP-10s ...

Wow! Heckuva find ….
  14. EyeGee

MAC 4100

Maybe it doesn't know the words? ;)
  15. EyeGee

Mac-4200 as preamp question.

Not sure if this is useful, but I have owned both a 4100 and a 4300-V, used both as pre-amps. I am currently using the 4300 as both an amp and a pre-amp, I took the pre-amp out (RCA cables going to input jacks on the power amp) and feed that into a 2100 amp but the 4300 amp is still "there"...
Back
Top Bottom