Recent content by flyz51

1. flyz51

Did Your Taste in Music Evolve?

Every recording is a potential doorway into another sonic world. Coming of age in the 60's, that was especially true. Considering the fact that Switched On Bach was released during my senior year in high school and that my first ever research paper was on the subject of electronic music, is it...
  2. flyz51

Recordings you purchased unheard, based upon the cover art.

Steve Tibbets - YR Frammis Records I believe this is his first album, but I haven't done any research to make sure. Found it in the used record bins many years ago and the instruments listed on the back cover intrigued me enough to spend a few bucks to take it home. Both the music and the sound...
  3. flyz51

Today's World Music playlist

The Shakti album A Handful Of Beauty is where I first heard of L Shankar. This is a live performance at Montreux from 1977.
  4. flyz51

Today's World Music playlist

Thank you for posting this. It's obvious I haven't checked in here nearly often enough given that you put this up almost 9 months ago. A lot of my listening and YouTube forays have been into the music of the Indian subcontinent. I watched/listened to enough of this to save it for later for the...
  5. flyz51

Your Last Concert (or two)

It's been a couple of forevers since I've posted and this is about a month behind, but here we go. Acoustic Hot Tuna at the Stoughton, Wi Opera House - April 18, 2023 The venue is marvelous, a small second floor theater in a nice small town about 20 miles SE of Madison. The sound matched the...
  6. flyz51

RIP David Crosby

It took me a little while to process this news. I'm saddened but not surprised given his age and medical history. The fact that he made it to 81 despite his well documented issues chemical, medical and legal is a testament to his determination and resilience as a human being. He was fully aware...
  7. flyz51

Unsurpassed Master Guitarist Playlist

This was a Christmas present from my late brother oh so too many years ago.
  8. flyz51

The New ECM Records Playlist

Middle of the night listening #3 Ralph Towner - Solo Concert ECM 1173 1980
  9. flyz51

Middle of the night listening #2 Andrew Cyrille - Lebroba ECM 2589 2018
  10. flyz51

Middle of the night #1 Jakob Bro - Bay of Rainbows ECM 2618 2018
  11. flyz51

Today's JAZZ playlist

An excellent movie that we've loved for years. Fortunately we have a great remastered copy on Blu-ray we watched Monday night. It's a wonderful story that has been redone a few times for the big screen. The only version that stands toe to toe with it is You've Got Mail. It handles all of the...
  12. flyz51

Today's JAZZ playlist

This looks like a tastysession. The only Archie Shepp recording on Denon that I knew of until now is Ballads For Trane. I found my copy in a cut out bin a couple of decades ago and it gets put into rotation three or four times a year.
  13. flyz51

Today's JAZZ playlist

I'm mostly in agreement here, JG. Growing up in west central Illinois, I got a lot of my baseball via WGN radio with Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreau calling the Cubs games. All the recent chatter about Gil Hodges brought back a bit of wistful melancholy over what happened to the Cubs down the...
  14. flyz51

2021 Christmas music playlist!

15. flyz51

2021 Christmas music playlist!

Back
Top Bottom