Recent content by folksnake

1. folksnake

LOUD buzz/hum in old Audiotronics 300-E Classroom Record Player

Yes! That post is a pretty cool feature, and easily accomplished...a wheat bulb taped to the bottom of it :) The cartridge was an OEM replacement for one of those two--not sure right now, but that's them. The caps I replaced were placed in the exact positions as the old ones, but I think I'm...
  2. folksnake

I did, Mike. I'm pretty sure it must have been the original, so I got a direct replacement from VoM. The old one had just a nub on each side...
  3. folksnake

Thanks! I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.:) I also assume that the resistors are less likely to have failed--is that a reasonable assumption?
  4. folksnake

Hi Folks- I'm working on restoring an old Audiotronics record player to listen to some Recordio 78rpm home recordings I came across, and I need some guidance. When I got it, it made barely any sound. I looked the components over and found two big electrolytic caps that were leaking, and replaced...
  5. folksnake

Criterion speakers?

Ugly grill cloth?! That's vintage gold! :) I was also appreciative of the post about the speakers in the catalog; it answered some questions I had had about them. Such as--what are the crossover points in these speakers? Wasn't sure how to figure that out through testing and measurement...
  6. folksnake

Criterion speakers?

Loved running into this thread--I've had Criterion 100B's since the 80's, after my brother handed them down to me. In fact, I have run into 2 other pairs of them in town (thrift stores mostly) and picked them up for a song, so they're everywhere around my house. I like them fine, but it was time...
  7. folksnake

Beginner tube amp?

Thanks for all the great responses! Enough info to keep me thinking about it all for a while.
  8. folksnake

What guitar is this?

A bit late to this party, but the band is named Ace of Cups. The darker haired guitarist, Denise Kaufman, favors Gibsons (she played a LP Custom after this period) but in this film it's hard to tell what she's--except that the headstock clearly says "Gibson" and it has their crown inlay on it...
  9. folksnake

Beginner tube amp?

Ha! Bean_counter, I had a similar experience with old Harmony guitars. They used to be trash, now they are vintage gold. Good thing I got what I wanted before the tide turned.
  10. folksnake

Beginner tube amp?

Thanks all! This is very encouraging. I'm pretty good at working the local angles--hamfests, yard sales, even Goodwill and thrift stores (saw a Roberts reel-to-reel in my local Goodwill a month ago for around $40; kicking myself that I didn't get it for the tubes+parts, at least, but I already...
  11. folksnake

Beginner tube amp?

Hi All- I'm getting itchy to get a stereo tube amp, and of course I am searching eBay and local auctions, etc to see what's available and at what price. What brands should I be looking at? I'm thinking about spending no more than about $200 (at first!). I guess in a way I'm also wondering...
  12. folksnake

Answering Machine Mod?

Thanks, folks! I knew someone would be able to do this for me. In their sleep, probably :yes: I'll tackle this when this holiday thing has calmed down. Looking forward to it! Thanks again!
  13. folksnake

Answering Machine Mod?

Hi Folks- This should be an incredibly simple thing for most of you in here, but personally, I'm unsure about it so I thought I'd ask, before i got myself into it- My father leaves funny phone messages on my answering machine, and I want to record them for posterity. Just sticking a...
Back
Top Bottom