Recent content by fredgarvin

1. fredgarvin

Forte III to Forte IV upgrade kit available from Klipsch

One possibility might be replacing the titanium diaphragm in the midhorn with something else, that was one of the major complaints about the III. Naturally, others thought it was an improvement.
  2. fredgarvin

Schiit Freya + vs Sonic Frontiers SFL-1

It serves a good purpose in that it can deliver variable gain settings, from 0 to +12, and the option to run SE or balanced. That provides flexibility for different amp matchups, both tube and SS, and when changing in new components that might want less or more gain. It could save you a shopping...
  3. fredgarvin

I hang out on HeadFi which has the dedicated Schiit forum. I've never heard of such a thing, although it could be amp dependent if ones amp needs more than +6db of gain that single ended provides in tube mode. I'm using a beefy Coda amp that has a healthy input impedance and does great with low...
  4. fredgarvin

It sounds like your amps need more gain than single ended provides, +6db. if you were not using the tubes option it's O gain I believe. By advising you to go balanced you get +12db in tube mode. I think it's probably that simple. The variable gain options of the Freya is a plus in my book...
  5. fredgarvin

Why the DI? You can run it single ended as designed.
  6. fredgarvin

I use a Freya N which is a Freya+ that uses nodal tubes. It is fully balanced but you don't need to play it in balanced mode. It's an option. RCA's work wonderfully. The beauty of the Freya is that you can run it fully balanced or single ended, and that you have three modes: passive, jFet...
  7. fredgarvin

Yes, a lot of misinformation about the Freya + here, it does not need to play in balanced mode when using the tubes option. It's weird how one guy can post incorrect info and suddenly you get several more guys echoing that as if it's true. Obviously, they aren't familiar with the model.
  8. fredgarvin

Schiit Introduces The Aegir 2

Another is that Aegir 2 has a -122dB noise floor from rated output, about 10-15dB better than Aegir.
  9. fredgarvin

Three Years With The Schiit Freya + Pre-amp

i don't have that problem with mine but it might be because they are noval 9 pin tubes in the Freya N.
  10. fredgarvin

Why so many lost remote control units?

Not to mention power cords,
  11. fredgarvin

He mentioned that in one of his talks, he used some Tyr tech in the new Aegir.
  12. fredgarvin

I wish he hadn't spent almost all of the print on the monoblocks and some more direct coparo's of the two singular amps.
  13. fredgarvin

The first review I've seen and a comparison with the OG Aegir. https://audio-head.com/review-schiit-audio-aegir-2/
  14. fredgarvin

Looking for new integrated amp - advice/suggestions requested

The Belles Soloist is a very nice amp. I've also read many good reports on the Audiolab.
  15. fredgarvin

First reviews of Dune II, not by film critics but from Frank Herbert Dune fans.

Well.... the first two books were good, when I was a teenager. Now, i doubt I would be able to stick with it. Lynch's movie was a whacky Lynch version and for that alone it's worth a watch. I am sure the new one is a better movie. I'm not really interested though. maybe I'll get with it.
Back
Top Bottom