Recent content by frommerstop

1. frommerstop

What are the best sub $1000 speakers you have ever heard?

Good luck finding fully functioning Quads under a grand. A few years ago, if you were lucky, maybe, but I haven’t seen a pair of either ‘57s or ‘63s that didn’t need at least a panel or two replaced for under a grand in years. Believe me, I’ve looked.
  2. frommerstop

Dream speakers

Ok then, if the room & electronics are a given, then The Apogee Speaker - as in the originals that were a bear on electronics, but oh boy did they sing!
  3. frommerstop

Dream speakers

Dream speakers are easy, it’s getting the dream listening room for them that’s hard!
  4. frommerstop

Trying to Build a Budget 2-Channel With Magnepans

I’m with Akustic on this, one 555 would be more than enough. I’d look into B&K as well, I find them (and the already mentioned Hafler) to be a little sweeter/warmer sounding than the Adcom, but that’s personal preference. The Adcom GFP 565 it a nice preamp, particularly quiet with an...
  5. frommerstop

What are the best sub $1000 speakers you have ever heard?

I think KEF R-107s are about as good as it gets under a grand. Maybe Acoustat Model 3 or 1+1s depending on your room & music preferences.
  6. frommerstop

Help me make a decision IMF vs McIntosh

It’s been probably 35years or so since I’ve heard Dittons, but I recall them positively. That being said, I’m fairly sure the A400s would be a significant step up. The A400 is imo the best speaker Boston ever made. If there is a pair in good condition near you, and within your budget, I think...
  7. frommerstop

Can someone identify these B&W speakers?

A nice Adcom 555 or B&K would be a reasonable amp for those, and won’t break the bank. Just let go of the AVR or light weight AV integrated and accept that you will need a real amp, and they will sing. 802s are really the sweet spot of B&Ws line as for value for sound quality.
  8. frommerstop

Help me make a decision IMF vs McIntosh

My opinion is the IMFs are the best of the three in consideration by a wide margin. Not to ruffle feathers, but for a few exceptions, McIntosh is a excellent electronics company that happens to make nicely made, mediocre sounding speakers. As for the Bostons, I can’t understand why your wife...
  9. frommerstop

Maggie sound question

Have you considered placing them against the 25’ wall? Having effectively no wall behind them, as you do now, isn’t a good idea for dipoles. They work well in near field arrangements though, so if you can turn your arrangement of the room ( a really big if, I know) then you might be in there.
  10. frommerstop

Gah what to buy, JBL l65, DCM, KEF?!

I’d say the KEFs hands down, except they will require considerable power to drive. If you don’t have at least 100wpc of good stable power, and/or you have to fill a large room (then we’re talking 200+), then I’d suggest the DCMs… though I’d go for 700 & up, if possible. L65s never really did it...
  11. frommerstop

on the hunt for speakers and looking for suggestions

A pair of bridged MC240s would drive either of them, in that size room, just fine.
  12. frommerstop

on the hunt for speakers and looking for suggestions

FWIW, from the list you have there, I’d go with either the B&W 802s or the Vandersteens. Obviously that’s just based on MY personal listening experience, and you don’t have my ears, so you really need to listen to as many as you can. …and then you’ll undoubtedly choose one of those two! ;-)
  13. frommerstop

Anyone recognize these?

I’m guessing EV full range, 15” or so, but that’s just my guess. I wonder if that’s a port, or horn above the cone?
  14. frommerstop

Best Low End Receiver?

Advent 300
  15. frommerstop

Need help Identifying these

They look like heavily modified Ohm Sound cylinders to me. I can see the tweeter mounted on the woofer magnet through the new grill. I think someone pulled off the cans and made those wacky things, then added a base… I assume they still have enough space to vent at the bottom, but it’s hard to see.
Back
Top Bottom