Gang-Twanger
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I have 2 Wharfedale W70D. 1 bad 8" upr bass-lo. mid. Weak point in 4 wy syst. Want to chg 2 8" with Eminence 290-4005 vs deal w prob. later. Higher wattg. Freq. resp gd. Sens. 94.3 db Have spec on Xvr freq. Need specs 4 w70D spkrs & circ. diag. w. values of 4 wy Xvr & attenuators for compatbility. Any info appr. Tks Dave
    Where are you GT? Hope all is well with you!! You are missed here on AK. - Best, Gannon
    Cont'd from previous post: Owner wants $100 for the pair. My main concern is whether these would have had foam surrounds which might need replaced - I don't want to get into that. Can you tell, from the serial #s if that might be the case, and what you think of the price . I'd like to drive them with my Scott 340B, pictured in my avatar. Any opinions, info greatly appreciated.
    I'm considering a pair of W60s (I don't think there's any suffix): two-way, ported, S#s 10986 & 10987. One tweeter out - don't know if it might just be the crossover yet. Fairly rough exterior - holes in the grill, I can't remember cabinet condition, but I don't think it's great. (More than 420 characters? Come ON!) Cont'd
    Hi..hope you don't mind the PM..you seem to be well versed on the W90. I just acquired a pair and posted a thread on "British audio" last night. When you get a chance, could you please read the thread and look at the pictures? I'm trying to determine what year mine are?
    Thanks! Roger (McEnroe7)
    Hi Gang-Twanger,

Greetings from SixCats! in (Sagadahoc County) Maine. I stopped in to say "hello" and I'm shocked/surprised to not see here at AK. I hope all is well with you and that you are still enjoying the Wharfedale W90's. I sometime miss them but not MOVING them lol.

Regards,

SixCats!

aka Tom Patrick
    Heya GT,

Just wanted to post on your wall so you'll hopefully come back. I am in the process of acquiring a pair of W90s, I finally got a chance to hear a pair.
    They have been re capped but did have the typical elcap electrolytics (25 and 6 uf)
    I think you should write a book on Wharfedale , kind of like a compilation of what remains from after the fire disaster of their lost history.
    In any case, all the best in 2016
    see canukaudiomart.com, and search for w60d posted jan25

The grills do NOT come off. See the staples inside the box?

I think the cab is NOT sand filled. What say you?

I suspect but don't now sure if the mids are blue dust cap but I think I saw blue when shining in a light.

No clue on the tweets but the image in my advert shows the backs of them inside the cabs.
    Hey GT,

Brent here in Scarborough. Happy New Year. As AKs most knowledgeable Wharfey fan, I thought you'd like to take a look at a pair of W60D I am selling for a neighbor.
    Not offering mind, (they are practically sold for $200 Canadian) but I wanted to give you the opportunity to look them over, and ask any questions that may occur to you before they are out the door.
    It just can't be a LOWER voltage rating than the existing caps. You could use 2.5 kilovolts if you really wanted, but that would be overkill. The higher-voltage caps just seem to be more-robustly-manufactured. Big ceramic insulators and that sort of thing. I used a 1000VDC oil cap for the mids and a 600VDC one for the tweeters (I was told by someone "in the know" to put the best ones on the midwoofers, so I did, and he's the one who picked out the caps for me anyway... The 600VDC Sangamo caps work beautifully on the Super 3 tweeters).
    Progducer
    Progducer
    This is a great price for some vintage 8uf tweeter caps. do you think these would be complimentary to W90 tweets or better to go Russian PIO?
    The 8uf is 25V, but all of the caps on eBay seem to be more like 8 uf 1000v. Is that ok? the pair of 12uf is 50v each so should i look for a PIO 24uf 100v? Thanks!
    There are only 2 caps. Although one of them is a bundle of two ( the blue caps). So what should i look around for on eBay in terms of brands for PIO caps? thanks!
    I do indeed play around with the receiver EQ with my vintage speakers. I find my W90s need no help in the bass department. The treble EQ doesnt work great with these W90s. That said, in a month or so these Wharfs will be ran by the tube Scott 222D so I'll have an entirely different experience anyway
    part 3:
    Im hoping that de-oxidizing the controls and recapping these will brighten them up a little. I have started listening to My EV Royal 400s more because of the T35 tweeter but I really miss the natural bass sound of the W90s. The 18" woof in the EV is a little too loose for my room.
    Part 2:

I'm not sure if the bass switch effects both woofers, or not. I'll check the crossover more closely and see if I can figure it out. I was surprised that both woofers have the Styrofoam glued to them since the pictures I've seen of other pairs have one standard woofer, and one passive radiator. If the styrofoam is on both, does that mean they are both radiators? I don't think they were assembled in error because the low end on these is my favorite out of all the vintage pairs I own. I haven't cracked into the other speaker yet, I'm very curious if that one has the same dual 12" with the foam glued in.

I am getting my first tube amp serviced currently. It is a Scott 222D with all telefunken tubes. I know all the tubes tested OK and the tech is moving on to caps right now.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom