Recent content by gbroot

1. gbroot

Sansui sp 2000 - should I add brake fluid?!

I just picked up a set of SP-2500's on marketplace. Virtually little to no bass as the surrounds were stiff as a board. removed the grills and laid them on their backs. Carefully applied the dot 3 to the fronts of the surrounds only. With my thumbs lightly began to push evenly on the cones and...
  2. gbroot

Best vintage speakers you ever heard?

3 best that I have owned in order of preference: Klipsch Forte still own KLH Model 23 still own JBL - L100T
  3. gbroot

Vintage Sansui speaker guidance please - the good, the bad, the ugly?

The AS-100,200's, 300's are worth getting. They are sealed boxes and have the same sound signatures as other sealed boxes of the day such as Advent, KLH, AR etc. As with the SP line surrounds are cloth but generally have stiffened up over time. A lite coat of DOT3 seems to do the trick. The AS...
  4. gbroot

KLH 5 Replacement Woofer? correct?

The positive of having the replacement woofer is that you can use it as a "big" bargaining chip on his asking price...whatever it is.... using the other info on the thread as your chips. Fun speakers to own and restore...lot's of info available here on AK. Good luck!
  5. gbroot

Realistic Optimus 1 crossover mod to increase HF response ?

Been a while since I put that post up and I no longer have the optimus 1's. If i remember correctly the the optimus 1 woofers screw into insets in the cabinet. So no, the KLH 6 woofers will not work. The woofers on my optimus 1's had hardened cloth surrounds so they had very limited bass. The...
  6. gbroot

Mach one, Nova 8B, Optimus? Which is best

We recently had a young couple in our home for a bbq and I put on The Rippington's. The were blown away by my 8b's. They didn't know that kind of sound existed. Seriously. At first they couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from because the 8b's veneer color is very close to the cabinet...
  7. gbroot

KLH tweeters. Which are the same as the model 5?

Interesting that no one has asked the question "Are you sure the tweeter is dead?" Did you actually check it with an ohm meter? Tweets on these old KLH's are notorious for going dead due to aged crossover capacitors that have gone out of spec. Dig into other threads here on AK. Lots of info...
  8. gbroot

Upgrade or Downgrade?

Just speaking to the Marantz 2220b vs the SA-720. I am inclined to the think that the 2220b would not be an upgrade since it is only a 20 watt per channel RMS rating. If memory serves me correctly the 720 is a 40 watt per channel unit. A greater consideration would be the age of the 2220b...
  9. gbroot

KLH Twenty Threes more help needed.

I've had numerous KLH's including 6's, 23's, and 5's. Nearly all of them had the sound you described initially. Recap and applying fresh dope to the surrounds should make all the difference unless there's a bad tweet. +1 on the 180 degree turn of the woofer. FYI...the 23's are my personal...
  10. gbroot

What to do????? Sansui G7500 for 2 D9 Vagas

You'd need to find out what work has been done on the Sansui. If it has been restored then it's probably a good trade both ways. If not, it could become regrettable quite quickly. 40 year old electronics are working on borrowed time and then finding a local shop willing to do repair on vintage...
  11. gbroot

Powered Subwoofer Stays In Protection At Power Up

A consideration for sure. Thanks!
  12. gbroot

Powered Subwoofer Stays In Protection At Power Up

I recently purchased a Phase Tech Octave 10 powered sub woofer on marketplace. Upon power up it stays in protection and has a steady hum until an audio signal is presented. Once an audio signal is presented it goes out of protection and sounds great. I called Phase Tech and this unit is quite...
  13. gbroot

vintage gear redux

My experience with vintage vs modern gear basically is that most modern gear (but not all) sounds better with a sub woofer in the mix. Vintage receivers such as the SX-750 which was a middle of the pack receiver have far larger power supplies than modern gear of today, thus better low frequency...
  14. gbroot

Can someone Identify this enclosure?

I once had a Hardon karman 330b receiver that was in a similar sized cabinet. The wood cabinet was optional on that model. There's no way of knowing for certain what your cabinet may have been used with but it certainly could have been a 330a or 330b.
  15. gbroot

What band has sold the most concert tickets of all time?

No doubt about it...Milli Vanilli. :rflmao:
Back
Top Bottom