Recent content by Gene Wiseman

1. Gene Wiseman

Closed Back Headphones

If you want to go cheap, Sony MDR-7506's sound great and are very detailed in my opinion. They have been around for a long time and can probably be had for less than $100.00. I know you can find them for less than $50.00 used much of the time.
  2. Gene Wiseman

The Knife Thread.....

Super lightweight Lanny's clip with G-10 and D-2. Thanks for looking! Gene
  3. Gene Wiseman

SUGGESTIONS ?? - On The Ear Folding Bluetooth Headphones??? $<75

Sennheiser HD 350 BT. If you look around , you can probably find a pair of these down close to $75.00. They make several versions of this model (350, 450, etc.). I have an older version and really like them with bigger ear pads installed on them.
  4. Gene Wiseman

What headphone amp are you using currently?

I have a little Dayton Audio DTA30HP. It's a 15 watt per channel speaker amp that I was using in the shop. It was replaced in the shop by an Aiyima AO7 as I needed more power. The little Dayton amp has a good headphone amp with a 1/4" jack. It works well for my living room setup. I like to use...
  5. Gene Wiseman

The Knife Thread.....

This is my medium sized Barlow pattern at 3 7/8" closed. The scales and bolsters are G-10 with mill relieved stainless steel liners. The blade and spring are D-2. Thanks for looking! Gene
  6. Gene Wiseman

Poor man's iPod

I have used old iPhones that I purchased on eBay but they were more expensive when you have to buy them and the operating system would eventually get obsolete and quite updating my apps. That's what gave me the idea of buying new tracfones. It's nice to have the new battery and it takes longer...
  7. Gene Wiseman

Koss Porta Pros with Yaxi pads

That's a really good deal. The problem I have with the sound is mainly related to my hearing in the upper ranges. The older I get, the more I need the higher frequencies boosted and the lower frequencies turned down so they don't overwhelm everything else. I realize that what I need is not what...
  8. Gene Wiseman

Koss Porta Pros with Yaxi pads

I bought the Porta Pros a few years ago and wasn't really that impressed. I recently tried them again with a dongle dac and thought they sounded better but were still not all that comfortable and a little bass heavy. The pads were deteriorating so I broke down and invested in some Yaxi pads...
  9. Gene Wiseman

Headphones vs speakers... hopeless?

I don't think that there is much use in arguing about whether headphones or speakers are better. I like to listen to both but my wife doesn't always want to listen too. I think headphones help with my ageing hearing more than good speakers do and headphones can be much cheaper than comparable...
  10. Gene Wiseman

I have no idea how they did it but that sounds good to me.
  11. Gene Wiseman

I have found that some recordings sound better with headphones and some sound better through speakers. A while back I recall reading about a record mastered in two forms, one for speakers and the other for headphones. I didn't get a chance to listen to it but it is a cool idea although probably...
  12. Gene Wiseman

Poor man's iPod

I don't even have a cell phone number and don't intend to activate it but a $29.00 Tracfone from Dollar General has to be the cheapest portable music streamer out there. This one has 32 GB memory and I added a 32 GB memory card. I mainly use Tidal but I also have Pandora and Tunein radio apps...
  13. Gene Wiseman

Budget headphone set up for work travel

I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones that I really like.They ain't the latest thing but they are proven. They are currently my favorite closed backs and they are a bargain at $80.00. They are very efficient too so you can drive them with anything.
  14. Gene Wiseman

Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Roots Radio WMOT 89.5. I just discovered this station on Tune in and have been listening to it most of the day today. It is a public radio station out of Murfreesboro, TN if I heard right. They play Americana and Webb Wilder is one of their disc jockeys. This is probably going to be one of my go...
  15. Gene Wiseman

Dual 1245 skipping

I knew that there would be far more experienced folks here to chime in. I never thought about the tone arm height or the wires hanging down too much. Those are both issues that I have experienced and felt like an idiot when I discovered the problem. The tone arm height thing wasn't so bad but I...
Back
Top Bottom