Recent content by hammr7

1. hammr7

Painted McIntosh 2250?

I have seen the black vs. silver on a few other models. My 2250 is old-fashioned two-tone.
  2. hammr7

Cost to sell on eBay

Most of the testimonials on Ebay and Paypal are correct. The interpretations are sometimes skewed. Paypal has every right to hold your money on risky sales. I had collectible cards which I sold over the years. I was legitimate, but many other sellers in that space weren't and aren't...
  3. hammr7

Cost to sell on eBay

If you are a business, should you be able to exclude from tax consideration every single transaction that is $600 or less? That would wipe out the vast majority of transactions at my local supermarket. Tax law already forces my bank to issue documentation for interest of $10 or more, even if...
  4. hammr7

Cost to sell on eBay

Garage sales are not exempt from reporting. Garage sales where you sell personal items and your proceeds are less than you originally paid are a personal loss. That loss is not a tax issue. When your business is on a cash basis there is never an inflation index. You are taxed on earned...
  5. hammr7

Cost to sell on eBay

The problem is much bigger for the IRS. The law says we are supposed to pay taxes on our earnings, whether that is a regular paycheck or something more entrepreneurial. Good points have been raised that only profit is taxed, but it incumbent on every seller to keep good records. How much you...
  6. hammr7

hickok tube tester model 799 w/booklet untested no shipping auction Westdale, NY, US 13483

Someone got a good deal. The machines are the poor stepson of the glamor Hickok testers, but the 799 Mustang is no slouch. Even without the expansion module it tests a ton of tubes, as it was built later than most testers. Best of all the unit can be easily calibrated. I have two of them...
  7. hammr7

When AK members - friends - silently disappear

I'm actually here to try and figure what happened to a few old A/K acquaintances. Blue Shadow directed me to this thread after I posted an individual request elsewhere. One is @70salesguy as he and I shared a strong interest in Crown RTRs. I saw that he has been requested in this thread a few...
  8. hammr7

When AK members - friends - silently disappear

I have recently had to help a few friends with estate issues. The brick-and-mortar aspects are getting easier for me, or at least the procedures no longer bewilder me. The digital and on-line aspects seem crazier by the day. There are already many different self-help articles and established...
  9. hammr7

RIP Terry DeWick

I think every long-time A/K er who ever owned a piece of McIntosh gear got a chance to experience Terry. The lucky ones for actual repairs, the rest of us for at least conversation and friendly advice. By the time I needed his help he had a massive backlog of work and no longer played with the...
  10. hammr7

Modern day high elliptical tracking forces concern..

I am enjoying all the information in this thread, and wear (stylus or LPs or both) is a very important consideration. But there are other nuances that need to be accounted for. One comment noted that DJs are fine with tracking heavy and likely swap out records more often. This may be true, but...
  11. hammr7

sunday morning organ salvage comin down...

Sorry to say I haven't been on this forum in a while and haven't seen this thread. The Baldwin 40 was a heck of a unit when it came out in 1953. Hopefully everything is going well but if you ever need parts I may have one tucked away. I may also have smaller power iron from Baldwin units as I...
  12. hammr7

Infinity 2000a speakers - AKer gift updated

I did some additional digging. BIC bought out RTR's stock and designs in the early 1980's. About the time their Ventura speaker line was ended. They cheapened the RTR products, and maybe (?) it was BIC that eventually got sold to DAK in the 1990's. Anyway, BIC America is back and selling...
  13. hammr7

Infinity 2000a speakers - AKer gift updated

I cant believe I missed this entire thread. The past 6 months have been crazy for me. Everything from visits to my first grandchild (a girl, living in London), to a month-long first experience with Covid, to helping a few of my dearest friends with horrible health issues. For Heather: Sorry...
  14. hammr7

Preamp that came with HF-87 amplifier

I pulled apart a few disintegrating Eico consoles, and if the amp was an HF87, the preamp was the HF85.
  15. hammr7

Recapping cost

While I don't disagree with your auto labor rates for a large established repair shop, the mechanic normally only gets ~ $50 / hr including deductions and benefits. And that mechanic is normally required to supply his own tools and basic equipment. The remaining $50 - $100 per hour covers a...
Back
Top Bottom