Recent content by joekapahulu

1. J

New integrated needed....

Looking to upgrade my Maranrz pm8005, move it to my office. Looking at $2-3 k new to run Kef R300s, Ohm Walsh 2s. Looking at Rotel 1572mk2, Exposure 2510, Audiolab 7000a, prefer amps that run 2 sets of speakers. I have heard none of these as no stores in my state.
  2. J

New NAS needed...recommendations?

Old NAS died...Seagate hub. What are people using theses days that is better, longer lived for music and data?
  3. J

Van Alstine Vision SET 120

VA 120 sounds great. Good current, neutral, quality sound. The control Amp is more like a passive preamp plus his 120 power amp. I know a couple of people who have it. It's really good but more limited than a true integrated in functionality. I'd get the 120 plus one of his excellent preamp...
  4. J

New Aiyima A07 MAX Amplifier - Small Footprint, Good Sound

Think it can it drive lower efficiency speakers like 84db 4ohm Spendor S3/5 monitors? I have those in my home office and would love a small form Amp.
  5. J

Sudden "popping" or water noise thru speakers...

Installed my low hours SS ATI backup power amp in my office system a few months ago after hurricane induced power surges blew out my HK 3490 receiver. Running with iFi Zen Dac doubling as preamp and USB DAC plugged into desktop PC with Spendor LS 3/5s. Its been fine until today. Today I noticed...
  6. J

Recommendations for new preamp

David is not retired. That was a rumor that went out a few years ago. He is actually VERY active right now in releasing a number of new products in the Aria product line...which are real winners. If you have never heard his stuff, you should check it out. He is an engineers engineer though not...
  7. J

Starkrimson.......anyone familiar with this company?

That is Orchard Audio. The amp is a Class D amp that has been getting very good reviews from pros and amateurs. There is lots of discussion and ownership feedback over on Audiogon. It is a boutique shop but the feedback on the product is overall quite good. Pricing generally reflects quality of...
  8. J

Solid West Coast based Mac repairs?

My MA5100 needs some love and Terry DeWick is retired so looking for a West Coast based repair source that is experienced. Seems all the names I had before retired. I know about AC but shipping from Hawaii will kill me. The amp is running hot on the left channel and has distortion when playing...
  9. J

5000 Receiver worth getting repaired?

Friend passed onto me a 5000 receiver he used for years. Just "dead" per him. Doesnt power on. Blew the new fuses I put in. No obvious blown stuff on a visual check. That is about where my electronics skills tap out. I know these had a decent reputation and looked pretty way back when. It is in...
  10. J

Recos: Good sounding small passive stereo speakers for late night - nearfield

They had a paucity of bass and there was a hump designed into it to fake bass. But, really it was more that I got offered LOTS for them. I had scored the pair years earlier and used them lots but then as is common in this hobby/disease thought "there must be better". The Spendors were pitched...
  11. J

Thx. 2nd reco. I am going to have to check them out. If I can get a good price that helps as shipping to HI is always a killer.
  12. J

I will check those out. I vaguely recall hearing the name a few years ago when they did a remake on the LS3/5s. The LS were pretty good though the bass was humped and a bit fake. Just got offered too much to keep them...
  13. J

Thx...lots of good ideas there. I hadnt thought about the LS50s...I have a pair of the KEF R300s I got after listening to them side by side vs the LS50s and preferring both the better bass and the WAF (tho I like the LS look). I use them in the LR for late night but the LS are smaller and could...
  14. J

Good point on the ports....hadnt thought of that. I have a shared wall right behind the speakers that goes to my neighbors daughters room...course she is often noisy in her own right so part of me wants to be vindictive....
  15. J

I have Sennheiser 650s which I use on occasion. However, due to my hearing issues and the need to be aware of surroundings speakers are my first choice.
Back
Top Bottom