Recent content by johnblue

1. johnblue

Southern California Registry

What’s up!!! Hey y’all! it’s pretty cool to see a thread I started 5 years ago kicking some serious ass. Hope it was helpful to connect some people. I am still In the game, but since I originally made this I’ve got married, had a son, let go of a recording studio, got a house and lived...
  2. johnblue

Recap ? Ampex 2010

i think i went 47-20-20-20, maybe bigger, everything was fine. =) https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ampex-2010-amp-pair-next-on-the-chopping-block.908800/#post-13728631
  3. johnblue

Phoenix CL Interesting DIY tube amp $1K

I can’t get past the 4 Plastic JBL P.A. Speakers. This amp must really bring out all their beauty...
  4. johnblue

6V6GT build thread - my first build

the heater wire looks pretty good to me, it can be done cleaner with newer wire but i've been through this before, and if you hate messy wire, you probably also hate dirty burned out solder lugs... most of my regrets in my early builds are going back and forth trying to improve wiring "look" and...
  5. johnblue

Cool little hardwood boxes... single speaker help.

Yeah, I’ve tried to research cabinets for these speakers for a long time, there’s not much info on them. I think they were made to compete with the likes of the high end Fostex full ranges and can be exchanged for those types of full range boxes.
  6. johnblue

Roger That! RSL CG-8/2!

+1 for RSL! Local boys over here in L.A. !! I’ve emailed Roger as well regarding some very early vintage large studio monitors and he was extremely helpful. They are now mounted in a pro studio after a recapping, serving as playback to the live room. :) been waiting to stumble On some of...
  7. johnblue

ALTEC LANSING Stelvio....... never heard of them

Looks like altec 409-8d or 8e driver.
  8. johnblue

ALTEC LANSING Stelvio....... never heard of them

I am sure you would get some more info with the driver model number. try to search around for “altec coaxial driver” you will find it.
  9. johnblue

Okay.... i tried testing them... one of the VC is seized.... (cry) ... couldn’t resist... Probably not the best use of these other speakers I had sitting around... but it beats storing them in a cardboard box like they have been for the last 6 years... now that’s a magnet.
  10. johnblue

I bought these little bad boys today... I love a little gamble... solid as a rock. Fits one 8 inch speaker. I couldn’t get it apart at the thrift store to find out what’s inside... so let’s looksie. The drivers aren’t very exciting can anyone identify? code on cone 208a21-1 loving the...
  11. johnblue

Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

thats alot of random stuff packed in some gnarly cabinets... haha, maybe that was his extra parts cabinets, none of that makes any sense, unless he was a speaker genius and had hit the golden ratio.
  12. johnblue

Is this can cap internally tied together? Cool military tube gear.

Thank you guys!!! Sounding clean , attenuating and compressing well... its got bandwidth past the 15k that I can hear and these little speakers can handle., at least I know there’s no bandlimiting anywhere near the 10k that these monster transformers advertise. :) and I’m just testing it off...
  13. johnblue

Thank you for pointing me in this direction, it’s actually more like this. I was thrown off because I’ve never seen a huge can capacitor used for this position (6aq5 pin 2) and Have such low voltage Running on it. But upon further inspection, pin two is wired exactly like this, which I have...
  14. johnblue

Switching out the 6aq5 seems to have done something... b+ lowered to about 215vdc, now the cap is getting some juice, but barely any, pin2 on the 6aq5, the cap and R130 all read 12vdc now. 40uf 300v cap for 12v seems fishy. but the same reading on two different replacement tubes I tried...
  15. johnblue

The “replaced caps” on top are what I replaced the original cans with. It’s hard to follow the hand tied lacing, but what it seems to be is.. Power transformer - 5y3 pin2 three Wires coming out 10hny choke - OPT - 6aq5 - (maybe a bad 6aq5? . pins 5,6,7 all reading 280vdc pin 2 reads 000 which...
Back
Top Bottom