Recent content by Jon_Logan

1. Jon_Logan

Convert tube rectification to SS...advice please?

Just my personal opinion: After modifying and seeing others who have modified the tube rectifier over to silicon, I would now make a little delay circuit for the plate voltage rectification. Now, if I were to design a circuit for this, would delay the plate voltage, but allow the heaters to...
  2. Jon_Logan

Proaudio amp for Subs

For a subwoofer application, you might want to consider a Class-D (switchmode) amplifier. The bandwidth that a subwoofer needs is low. That is right in the wheelhouse for Class-D amplification. If there are sonic issues to be had with Class-D amplification, low frequencies wouldn't be...
  3. Jon_Logan

Threshold-like amp that doesn't get hot?

If you need high output levels (large voltage swings) and want Class A output stage bias, you'll need to get creative in what to select. The Thresholds, as well as the Nakamichi (PA-7's) both dissipate quite a bit of heat. Most amps have fixed rails that supply the output stage. The...
  4. Jon_Logan

Threshold-like amp that doesn't get hot?

I believe the Sunfire runs Class A and cool.
  5. Jon_Logan

Dragonfly... no improvement...

Let's just say, you must consider the magnitude of the input to output errors. Electronics, amps, preamps, DAC's, and the like are pretty easy to get right to a point of vanishingly small distortions. Distortions in frequency response, distortions in signal integrity, distortions in phase...
  6. Jon_Logan

The plus and minus of dc offset

Dismiss which speakers? I can tell you a large portion of what we measured were not optimized. ...even from some well known and highly regarded manufacturers. And no, I ain't mentioning any names.
  7. Jon_Logan

Matching speaker impedance to amp with a resistor in series?

Well, it should be okay if that's the case. I just wouldn't try get too far out of the amplifier's comfort zone. Things like; don't play it too loud, check the output transformer temperature every once in awhile when you're using it until it has shown to not run too hot. 2 Ohms isn't a huge...
  8. Jon_Logan

The plus and minus of dc offset

Just to muddy the waters a bit... I was working with a speaker guy some time ago and he was evaluating all kinds of drivers. Some interesting results came out one of the woofer tests. The tests showed that some speakers (some of the most expensive models) did not have their voice coils...
  9. Jon_Logan

Matching speaker impedance to amp with a resistor in series?

Put your "6 Ohm" speaker on the 4 Ohm tap. That will be kinder to your output transformer. I would recommend against adding a series resistor. The result of adding the resistor will be a frequency response that is highly affected by the speaker's impedance curve.... ....lot's of...
  10. Jon_Logan

Bi-wiring: real benefits?

This should be a 'sticky'.
  11. Jon_Logan

JVC JA-S71 with odd protection circuit problem

Nice. Good job! :huge:
  12. Jon_Logan

High Voltage supply for Electrostatics

These'll probably work: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/GP02-40-E3%2F54/GP02-40-E3%2F54GICT-ND/2880333
  13. Jon_Logan

JVC JA-S71 with odd protection circuit problem

In m opinion (and I think Sregor's), you really need to check the waveform at the top of the caps. Your measurement show the the frequency sensitivity shows that the 235uF cap is not shunting enough low frequency signal to ground. .....allowing it to (prematurely) trigger the protection...
  14. Jon_Logan

High Voltage supply for Electrostatics

I'd be looking into that component named "Selemax". That tells me it might be a selenium rectifier (x2). Selenium's tend to get resistive and develop large voltage drops. Can you wrangle a schematic?
  15. Jon_Logan

Re-doping a silk dome tweeter?

Hmmm. I think I'll wait until I hear the speakers sound bad. I used to work with a speaker guy and we did some measurement with different tweeters. It appeared that harder domes all had an 'Oil can" effect, where the dome would have a mode at some frequency where the dome did not move in...
Back
Top Bottom