Recent content by jpchleapas

1. J

How high up the analog ladder do I have to climb to beat what I have

Just my .02 beware the turntables with no support today which means replacement parts are made from unobtanium. :) My friend had problems with a pink triangle power supply. He builds audio gear and is a engineer. I own 2 Ariston tables. I ended up having to buy a SDS unit for a near mint...
  2. J

aaaaaaagh!! SCORE!!! JBL L300 Summits!

Why not price a pair of Radian diaphragms? I own a pair of L300 too that have been in my home for almost a decade now. They are both going in for a check-up before I sell them to someone I know. One plays a bit softer than the other. Back to the Radian replacement diaphragms my TAD TD-4001...
  3. J

best speakers for Fisher 500c?

Too many to list. I can suggest a pair of KLH Model 5 might be a good start. You can also search the Stereophile on-line archives to see what they used since they are the folks who started the craze for the 500c receivers. I own another rebuilt 500C, but the prices jumped after the Stereophile...
  4. J

A Friend Indeed Gives Me A Fisher 500c

Nice friend. Ask him if you can wax his car to thank him? :) I have a 500c and the missing end caps for your knobs are available for short money. You can do a search. I lost my hard drive and have not yet put my bookmarks back in from the back up I have. His name is Paul Gryz..?.? His old...
  5. J

Can tube amps overheat?

A variac is a adjustable power supply that plugs in between the wall outlet and the tube amplifier. These are very nice to have when buying used tube amps to bring them up slowly to reform the capacitors. You can scrounge one local local to you at boat anchor (ham radio) swap meets, or look for...
  6. J

Nitty Gritty 3.5 RCM, need a little help!

I have a Nitty Gritty 3.5 Fi. There is, or was supposed to be a small removable plastic drip tray underneath the dirty fluid collects on. To be honest I think most of the fluid dries in mine from the heat inside before it ever hits the drip tray. :) Contact Gayle who owns NG by phone and she...
  7. J

records - cost

Most folks buy records they want to own to enjoy listening to. Before you even think of trying to sell records you need to learn how to grade them. Then you will need to listen to them after cleaning them and putting them into new inner sleaves. Sorry to inform you that as a rule you will not...
  8. J

New to tubes: AMC CVT-2030 Amp

I still have my very first vacuum tube amplifier from 12 years ago in my Dynaco ST-70. It was modified by Kevin Kennedy for me. After I move to Maine I am seriously considering buying 3 more of the new ST-70 kit amps for my downsized HT needs. I own 2 ST-70 amps now. While I enjoy my 2-way...
  9. J

Just snagged a pair of JBL L-222 Disco's

Sweet! They should sound wonderful with the mid range horns. Reminds me a bit of my L300 from the same era. Mate them with a good amplifier and source and you will have years of listening enjoyment with those. Well worth the drive. LOL, I rented a truck and drove a good bit further than you did...
  10. J

Sub $2000 Turntable recomendations

I saw the ad for that at Agon but he is asking 1800 Euro dollars which is a lot more than US dollars for now until the Fed raises the discount rate and allows our dollar to recover which will also cause oil to drop back to reality. I just got my W.T. Reference from Audiogon. Nice table and not...
  11. J

Need some unbiased opinions

Not as much as you fear. A decent used Thorens TD-160 can be tweaked for around 300 for a nice one. In the early 1980's my Dad bought a new Yamaha CR-2040. The phono stage was actually not too shabby. I still have his mint B&O 4004 turntable with at least 4 good cartridges for it. Look daily in...
  12. J

Sub $2000 Turntable recomendations

I agree and second Well Tempered turntables. My Well Tempered Classic was a bargain and it is one very nice sounding turntable. I would highly suggest you send the person you buy it from a article on how to pack a table to survive shipping. My table arrived packed very well and arrived undamaged...
  13. J

I'm done...I've found my personal Holy Grail of speakers...

You wrote, "He is a retired Delta Airlines pilot from 31 years of service who was also a jet pilot back in WWII." Ummm. Unless he has a German accent U.S. Army Air Force pilots only flew propeller planes in WW2. The Germans had the only jet fighter plane in very small numbers only in the...
  14. J

IS it possible to have an old amp re chromed?

Try emailing Brad at Performance coatings. I had the after market intake for my Mustang done with their product called Cermachrome. Price was around 250 a few years ago. They have a price list. I will let Brad give you a quote but take the measurements of each chassis and send them to him for a...
  15. J

Bob's Tuner Tales

I am still evaluating the MD-106T triode tuner having only been listening to it for a week or so. I also purchased the MD-205 signal sleuth for fun. I purchased mine from the original owner. So luckily if it ever needs work I can pay to have it shipped to him and he can send it in to the factory...
Back
Top Bottom