Recent content by jritchie1980

1. jritchie1980

How (not) to Buy Gear (or not)...

I live in Chicago- when I go “hunting” most of the Estate sale co’s already have the system on and playing as a “sales tactic” the ones that don’t know what they are doing will have it scattered about- when I see this I know they don’t know and I assemble it or insert items needed from my...
  2. jritchie1980

How do you listen to your system?

When Testing a mod to current system, I listen in each position (Sweet spot, off left, off right) and see how it affects all areas. When listening while doing other things it tends to be cranked for cleaning, mid-level for computer work, and quiet for conversation and technical things like...
  3. jritchie1980

How (not) to Buy Gear (or not)...

I agree with previous poster's that "as is" should be looked at as salvage price- or less... I always bring a small amp and/or speakers to estate sales or CL meetups. Generally - especially at estate sales - they are professionals - and they have a policy. The price never goes up. It only goes...
  4. jritchie1980

One thing you sold that you regret

Arcam CD Player - sounded soooooo sweet, but I needed the $$ at the time and at least the rest of that system bought from an Estate sale remains with me. The gentleman really built a very synergistic system, and while he is gone - it lives on sans CDP
  5. jritchie1980

Turntable??

Big markets are great for craigslist, but I’ve also found wonderful deals in rural areas at thrift/pawn/estate sales. You seem to like to diy if you can solder a whole other level of “needs work” deals will get you close to your target ($70k sound) but getting all the way there requires $$$ and...
  6. jritchie1980

The HomePod has landed

No point really- just discussing the product and expressing my opinion
  7. jritchie1980

The HomePod has landed

Did it sound judgey? I have an Elite Pioneer Receiver that has room correction and I LOVE it- I could see how it would be great for a Novice-phile- Just saying that sometimes I also Like to defeat room correction, play w positioning myself etc. I feel like this is a site where a lot of people...
  8. jritchie1980

Ortofon Quintet Red

I was close!!! I run mine at 2.3-2.5 For what its worth... Sorry if anyone used my post as reference and ran theirs at .2g to high :oops:
  9. jritchie1980

The HomePod has landed

I like his Pre-amp. And THX (He's the T) was pretty good too... That being said, I (like most people on this site) will want for $350+ a little more than what this little speaker can offer. I would prob get a good DAC a used set of speakers, Chinese amp, and a chromecast for the same price...
  10. jritchie1980

Ortofon Quintet Red

QBlue owner here- many similar insights with the addition of a FULL and tight rhythm section from bass/bass drum to bongos and cymbals, like Gloria Stephan said "The rythym is gonna get you" with this cart. Furthermore acoustic guitar/piano/ Female vocal combo's really shine. I like it because...
  11. jritchie1980

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

Bryston 2b Right - 6.2 mv Left - 11.1mv Does anyone know if/where the trimpots on this are?
  12. jritchie1980

Grace 840-F tone arm problems.

Thanks for the update and the info!! I’m very happy with my own 840F and Ortofon combo - and I found weight to be a big factor in getting the right sound. Both headshell/counterweight mass and stylus pressure/height.
  13. jritchie1980

CONFESS!! How many on AK are like me audio cheapskates, dumper divers etc?

I have learned which companies not to bother with, which companies can be bargained with, and which companies make a garage full of junk look like a house full of wonder (those are the worst- ugh!). If they show pics of individual albums I generally don’t bother. They will be overpriced. That...
  14. jritchie1980

Best Vintage Turntables

I’m also looking fwd to a good ole fully auto (and changer equipped) player eventually!!! I have a lot of 45’s that would be fun to let rip on an auto
  15. jritchie1980

Stereo Rehab experiences

My only experience is a phone call, but MAN was I floored by the experience. He talked with me for a while about various subjects, never rushed me, and even gave his honest opinion of other shops in Chicago. Also- It is a fairly well known “secret” that Casper ends up w some of the jobs...
Back
Top Bottom