Recent content by jrtrent

1. J

Can Someone Please Explain the Technics 2024 Lineup?

Best thing is to ask your dealer, but I'm thinking it might just be part of the color designation. I see a 1200G-S which is silver and a 1210G-K which is black. Price and description are the same.
  2. J

Anti-Skate

It will be interesting to find out what you end up preferring. It's not a given that the settings suggested by a test record are the best; that's the whole point of the Soundsmith method and the cautions against using heavily modulated test record tracks by people like John Hunter of Sumiko...
  3. J

Anti-Skate

I wouldn't be afraid to just go with the .9-1.0 setting that the dead wax method came up with. I know that for my 120XUSB, the Soundsmith method came up with a .9 antiskate setting for my Sumiko Oyster tracking at 2.3 grams. Nothing wrong with 1.5 either; John Hunter of Sumiko has said his rule...
  4. J

Anti-Skate

Well, it indicates that increasing the antiskate setting increases the force being applied, which is what it should do. You had written, "if I set the AS to be the same as the VTF, when I put the tone arm on the dead wax it skates very fast to the record label, I have to lower the skate to .9...
  5. J

Entry level turntables question

I haven't heard one, but I have no reason to think it wouldn't prove satisfactory. I very much enjoyed the AT-LP120XUSB (I needed its 78 rpm capability), and the only comments I've seen from users that had both indicated a preference for the LPW40WN. I will say that with the LP120XUSB, the stock...
  6. J

Anti-Skate

Very odd with the antiskate control seeming to work the opposite of what it should. If you zero balance the arm so it floats above the record, does an antiskate setting of zero move the arm out to the tonearm rest faster than setting it to 2 or higher? I suppose it doesn't matter as long as the...
  7. J

Need your help: Do I fix the Dual 1241 I got at auction or buy a new table in the $500-700 range

A company called Fix My Dual has gotten positive comments in this forum. https://fixmydual.com/service-info/ Interesting video interview with the owner of Fix My Dual: I haven't heard a Dual for several decades, though I do remember enjoying music with a couple high school friends in the...
  8. J

New Sl-100c wobble

Far from a satisfactory response from Panasonic, but since you said your dealer was returning the unit for service, I don't think any response is needed until you get their hands-on report.
  9. J

Cleaning Records

I like vacuum record cleaning machines such as from Nitty Gritty (or the much cheaper KAB EV-1, which uses the same principle, brushes and fluids with an external vacuum; I attach my Oreck canister vacuum for this). I don't like to clean in batches, preferring to just clean one record, then play...
  10. J

$11 Chinese AT3600L Thread Mk. II - Champagne sound on a Beer budget!

Thanks for that link; I hadn't seen it before, but it's got great illustrations and tips for changing the stylus. I first heard the AT3600L because it was the stock cartridge on a friend's Music Hall turntable. The Music Hall manual also suggests using 3 grams.
  11. J

$11 Chinese AT3600L Thread Mk. II - Champagne sound on a Beer budget!

Looks like there's a change in the recommended tracking force range for the ATN3600L. The above chart, showing a 2.5-4.5 gram range, is what I've always gone by, but the user manual for the new ATN3600L that I put on this morning gives a narrower range: Tracking force: 3.0 to 4.0 g (3.5 g...
  12. J

New stylus. No highs

I know nothing about your Rivertone stylus other than what I saw at an ebay listing, but past threads on third party styli have mentioned that the brushes don't always match original styli for weight or effectiveness. What instructions came with your Rivertone stylus? Did it say to add 1 gram...
  13. J

Turntable cart resonance and compliance question.

The total of the tone arm effective mass (including headshell), cartridge, and mounting hardware is used to calculate the resonance frequency. Your Ortofon OM body should have a removable weight that reduces the cartridge from 5 to 2.5 grams. Someone above suggested that the mounting hardware...
  14. J

Audio Technica AT-92E stylus upgrades?

The ATN85EP stylus might work. AT describes it as: 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical replacement stylus for these cartridges: AT85EP, AT301EP, AT311EP, AT316EP, AT92ECD
  15. J

What's your best sounding record? What's your favorite record?

In an economy move to Texas a couple years ago, in which my 2010 model Toyota Corolla was my moving van, I got rid of all my records and all my hifi gear, figuring I'd just learn to stream music over my computer and listen with headphones or wirelessly to a Bose Wave via its SoundLink feature...
Back
Top Bottom