Recent content by jsax420

1. jsax420

Mono Blocks.. pic’s thread. Let’s see them

Thanks! The opts are vintage units that were made by a company called Better Coil and Transformer. They came out of a Capitol Records branded console amp that used 6973's and 6an8's. They are definitely the largest outputs I've ever pulled from a console.
  2. jsax420

Mono Blocks.. pic’s thread. Let’s see them

I like to repurpose things, so I built this pair of 15 watt monoblocks from a pair of rack-mount oscilloscope side panels. The circuit is straight out of the "RCA High Fidelity Amplifier Circuits" book that is on the web. It uses two 6973's and a 7199 per side. The tube types used aren't the...
  3. jsax420

todays ebay-shot: CEC BD-7000 (dirrrrty version)

Hi, glad to be able to help :thumbsup: . I hope you can get it working, its a very nice table!
  4. jsax420

University Medallion Xii woofer accordion surrounds stiff.

They have fairly stiff surrounds compared to most other speakers IIRC. They will soften temporarily if you heat them (gently) with a hot air gun or hair dryer, but I think you might have good luck just playing them for a bit to loosen them up. Mine have pretty stiff surrounds compared to my...
  5. jsax420

UTC CG-422 pinout

Specs for this transformer are online. Do you have a multimeter? If so, you can figure out the windings fairly easily by writing down the resistance readings between pins. Filament windings (there are four on this transformer, two of which are center-tapped) will read very low resistance, high...
  6. jsax420

Altec Lansing 342B

Altec 4722 and 15095a mic transformers can be used as SUT's for moving coil cartridges, so can 4665's and possibly others. Specs and pricing info is on the web.
  7. jsax420

Earthlings get one tube

6gf7 makes a great spud if you can track down novar sockets.
  8. jsax420

Vintage EL84 PP mono block ID

Any numbers on the transformers? They might indicate who the manufacturer was.
  9. jsax420

What size/type wire do you guys use?

Apex Jr has a good selection of quality teflon wire in lots of colors and sizes, both solid and stranded, at really nice prices. (Save some for me.)
  10. jsax420

Contemplating a new build...suggestions needed

Have you acquired output transformers for this project? Williamsons generally require a high quality OPT to work well. I built a stereo version of the Radio Craftsman 500 using 807 tubes and Stancor A-8054 outputs that works quite well.. You may want to check out the RC 500 schematic, and also...
  11. jsax420

tube receiver recommendations

Do you have a budget in mind? I would be on the lookout for a Harman kardon Ta260 (not 230, they look alike but the 260 has a lot more power) or possibly a ta5000 or 7000. Also, the Scott 340 or 345 would be a good choice if you never listen to am.
  12. jsax420

RCA Hi-Fi Tube Receiver

Agreed, but I stand by my statement that they are ridiculously good sounding. :D
  13. jsax420

Help with first tube amp purchase

I absolutely agree on the estate sale suggestion. FWIW, just yesterday I picked up a matching set Dynaco SCA-35 integrated amp and FM-3 tuner, in great condition, with manuals, at an estate sale for $100. :smoke: (They were originally asking $200 but everything was half price on the second...
  14. jsax420

RCA Hi-Fi Tube Receiver

Very nice catch! It uses 6973's for outputs right? Although expensive these days, the 6973 is just a ridiculously good sounding tube.
  15. jsax420

help needed for repair+ scroe

Why not play around with all three since you have them? The two B&K units are pretty nice. I've never used a Mercury 2000, but it claims to be a mutual conductance tester. Assuming they all work, IMO the Dyna-Jet 707 is the keeper. I don't think there are enough differences between the three to...
Back
Top Bottom