Recent content by juno

1. J

Favorite tube for preamp?

Keep in mind that the 12SN7 is available NOS at much less cost than a comparable era 6SN7. They are basically the same tube. Your preamp can run them fine if you put the switch in the correct 12 volt position. You can also run 6SN7 if you put it on the 6 volt position. The same adapters will...
  2. J

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Thank you for all the suggestions. I wonder if I went with the passive option and wasnt happy I could add a 12" with plate amp later ? Or would that not work? I was leaning toward the passive route for simplicity and less clutter.
  3. J

Open Baffle Epiphany!

I have a preamp with two sets of RCA outs. One is high hain and one is low gain. would I hook that up using the Dayton you suggested? Just use the low gain output from the pre to the Dayton then to the woofers? And set the crossover so it sounds good?
  4. J

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Yeah it's a 10 inch in the same baffle with the Betsy. From their site: a Jantzen Audio 18 AWG Air Core inductor is used with the Alpha 10" driver and the entire speaker is powered from the main amplifier.
  5. J

Gear rack/stands

I'd like something like that but 60 or 72 inches. Very nice piece!
  6. J

Open Baffle Epiphany!

I am seriously considering a pair of the Caintuck Betsy and Buck. I would go with the passive option. Anyone heard these? http://www.caintuckaudio.com/Betsy_Buck.html
  7. J

Music hold... sounds lousy!

That is very interesting. Where does MUZAK fall into that licensing mix?
  8. J

Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

Did you look at a picture of the amp and read the description before you bought it? I'm not sure how you did this but jeez, man. Right on the MP page it tells you what tubes it can use. And just by looking at it you can tell which ones go in front versus the output tubes in the back.
  9. J

Conn 12AU7 RCA Black Plates

Got them. They are great tubes. 1957 RCA
  10. J

Your furry K9 or Kitty listen with you?

My cat loves to lay in front of the right speaker and falls asleep no matter what I'm playing. Or else he's just soaking up the sound. If I'm delinquent in flipping a record or putting on a new CD he starts meowing and pacing around. Once the music starts up again he gets back in the zonked out...
  11. J

Interested in Tube but have no idea what to look for

You may regain some sweet midrange at the sacrifice of some bass slam. Overall, probably a better balance unless you like music that is mostly bass
  12. J

Audyn vs Mundorf

I would guess the Mundorf would be tipped to high frequencies. Never used the other. Recently got some Ampohm aluminum foil paper in oil. Have not installed them yet. Replacing obligato gold. I would be interested in hearing about your results. I would guess the audyn copper would be my...
  13. J

Thank you for the reply. I had heard the cleartops are a little bright, so opted for these. I guess I will find out in a week once they arrive!
  14. J

I just ordered 4 of these for a preamp. They are RCA Black Plates branded Conn. I figure these are a great all around tube? Anyone have any input on how these sound? Never mind the Conn....but RCA 12AU7 black plates in general? Thank you! Purchased from a reliable and trustworthy supplier
  15. J

Dynaco ST70 Reintroduced!

I think it is a fair comparison because they are all attempts at IMPROVING upon the original. I am not concerned with blueprinting individual amps for a head to head comparison of supplier built amps. Otherwise I would need to order several blueprints from whatever manufacturer I decide on to...
Back
Top Bottom