Recent content by kws87

1. K

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable - Brand New - How much?

Hi AK - I am looking to sell a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB turntable. Its brand new and still under manufacturers warranty. It was a gift and I can't return it - so how much should I expect to get? Hoping for a pretty quick sale
  2. K

Vintage Turntable - Which are Relatively Safe Bets - Looking for Rec's

Re: Thorens TD160 Super -- So the seller said the tonearm cue was not functioning when he bought it (cable was already loose). He said he dropped in a Jelco arm. For the sale the arms have been swapped back. Does this sound like a normal/easy fix? Or should the loose cable and arm swapping...
  3. K

I've asked for more info on the arm switch and not hooking the return cable up. The seller also mentions putting a new "cherry plinth" on the deck, replacing a black plinth. I'd never seen a black plinth on this model, is that normal ?
  4. K

The seller did say that he had an aftermarket tone arm installed. In the sale the standard arm is what's included. Does that sound like a potential disaster waiting to happen ? Thx
  5. K

Quick question for anyone with experience with the TD 160 Super - The seller says the cue lever doesn't work and it looks like that is due to a cable not attached. He said there is a loose cable under the deck and thought that was probably the reason the cue doesn't work. Is this a known issue...
  6. K

any specific experience with the Pioneer PL-570? Appearances aren't that important, but that TT would match my Pioneer amp/tuner
  7. K

I quite like my D2, I used to use an ATH95 on there - which was good - but I loved the table after putting the ATH120e on there. The D2 was my grandparents, so it'll be one I keep forever. The Thorens is what I have wanted for a long time. For the TD 160, does the "Super" version have any...
  8. K

Thanks for the rec's - I need to look up a couple of these models. I have seen used AR tables available locally. I don't have direct experience with them, but they look well built (and are good looking). AR could be another good brand to look at? The Thorens had a bent spindle off the belt...
  9. K

is this the problem arm on a Rega Planar 3?
  10. K

Hi AK - For the second time this month I've had what I thought was a good buy set up on a vintage turntable, only to find major flaws in the decks. First a Thorens 160 then a Rega Planar 3. Given that - what vintage turntables aren't ticking timebombs.? Which are relatively safe bets? I am...
  11. K

Rega Planar 3 (older model) Questions - Issues to look for? etc - help asap

Ahhh, bummer. Thanks for all the info - the continued questions weren't bc I did'nt believe the AK wisdom, I am just always curious about and amazed at some of the poor design choices you can see in old equipment (probably newer stuff too). Is the internal belt one of the reasons I (seem) to see...
  12. K

Do you mean the issues were only present with tonearms not made by Rega? Is my early example of a planar 3 a unit with a non Rega arm ? Thanks again
  13. K

Thanks for all the info ya'll. How easy is it to get a look at that belt? Will I be able to look without a lot of disassembly? If anyone could offer some instructions for looking that would be excellent. Any additional items I should/could check on pretty easily?
  14. K

Hi AK - I have a chance to get an older Rega Planar 3 that looks to be in good cosmetic condition and no obvious functional issues. But, I am hoping you AK experts would weigh in on the following; - What, if any, are common issues with these tables that I should check before purchasing? -...
  15. K

Used Thorens TD-160 - pricing and what to look for

Took me a bit, but I finally saw the deck. Unfortunately the spindle has wobble, making it spin in a little oval with the platter removed. Needless to say I am bummed, I was hoping to be the owner of a new old Thorens. :( Thanks to all the advice here. I passed on the knowledge to the seller.
Back
Top Bottom