Recent content by mewoods

1. M

Why do youtube "audiophile" videos sound so good?

They always seem to have good dynamic range but don't fill all the frequencys. Maybe it's that separation. Most are guitar vocals and very low bass.
  2. M

Why do youtube "audiophile" videos sound so good?

I have been listening to youtube videos through my new JBL's. When I click videos that are titled "Audiophile" like the one linked below, they usually sound pretty good. I know they are not 24 bit as some titles would have you believe but why do they sound so good? I tried to analyze the video...
  3. M

JBL 4312c

Thanks for all the great responses! This really is a great forum!
  4. M

JBL 4312c

Set up and all the drivers are working! Xo's too. Crappy Sony surround sound amp with dental floss speaker wire but that will change soon. XO pots are a little scratchy but not overly worried about them. Did rotate them a number of times as suggested. Initially, in my haste, plugged in my iPhone...
  5. M

JBL 4312c

Here they are. Hard to see the damage but boxes are scratched up and some damage to the bottom panel. Looks like may have gotten wet and swelled the area around the dado for the back. Hoping the electronics haven't suffered. Grill cloth is remarkably in pretty good condition. No pulls or tears.
  6. M

JBL 4312c

Haven't hooked them up yet. I only have that super thin speaker wire that came with a Sony surround sound system. Going to give it a go tonight regardless. Will post pics but boxes are kinda rough. I'm a cabinetmaker so not too worried about the need to improve or replace the boxes of...
  7. M

JBL 4312c

And she listens to jazz and classical, plays sax and violin like a monster...super cool! Super proud!!!
  8. M

JBL 4312c

Is there a way test the drivers other than just plugging into an amp. Any way to check/test the crossover? The boxes are a wreck but I picked then up for next to nothing so great place for me to start off my audio tinkering. If electronics check out I am a cabinetmaker and can replace or improve...
  9. M

JBL 4312c

Just picked up a pair of, kind of rough, JBL 4312c's for super cheap. Any tips on what to check to see if they are viable for use or just door stops? I don't have an amp to hook it up to other than a cheap Sony 5 channel home theater receiver. Pretty sure it wont drive the JBL's very well. ;)
  10. M

Noobs first system - Where do I start?

I am in Maine. I love the look of vintage but I'm leaning to newer used high end equipment.
  11. M

New guy from Maine - zero gear, zero experience

Thanks for the response. I posted more details in the thread below in keeping with the no question rule in greeting post. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/noobs-first-system-where-do-i-start.791920/#post-10935982
  12. M

Subscribed. Thanks
  13. M

Thanks for this reply. I assumed there would be very little agreement on what best and a zillion options. The RMAF looks like a good place to review options. Thanks. Linking it here for others noobs such as myself. https://www.audiofest.net/event/entree-level-room-5000/
  14. M

Noobs first system - Where do I start?

Posted in the greeting section so "Hi' to anyone that hasn't read it. ;) I am noob in hi-fi systems. I have communicated with a number of friends and professionals who have been super helpful but wanted to get input here as well. (If there is a similar thread ( I did search but nothing came up...
  15. M

Speaker build resources

I am an experience craftsman but have very little to no knowledge of speaker design. I would like to build a three way mid sized floor speaker for a room that is 216 sqft. (15'x16' with one angled wall). I have not purchased an amp or any other equipment. I imagine budgeting around $1,000 to...
Back
Top Bottom