Recent content by MiamiEd

1. MiamiEd

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Listening to the Blues Hour on WDNA 88.9 Miami. Hubert Sumlin, Cannonball Adderley and the unexpected (to me) combination of blues shouter Big Joe Williams and Clark Terry. Great stuff. The tuner is the Magnum Dynalab FT-101. The antenna is an indoor antenna.
  2. MiamiEd

I really enjoy the FT11. When Magnum Dynalab came out with this tuner in the mid 1980’s it was well regarded in the audio press at the time, even making the Stereophile recommended components list. The criticism has always been the component quality and the build. I like the sound of the...
  3. MiamiEd

Listening to Frank Consola on WDNA 88.9 Miami. Started with a half hour retrospective of flautist Paul Horn live playing an eclectic blend of jazz, samba and world music. This followed by an hour of blues. Tuner is my venerable Magnum Dynalab FT11.
  4. MiamiEd

Listening to Jazz Network’s Dave Schwan playing some incredible music, Grant Green, Monk, Miles and Coltrane are some of the highlights. One of the best things about listening to a good radio station is how one always discovers something new. I have never heard Blues at Maude’s Flat by Grant...
  5. MiamiEd

This tuner has become my favorite since I fixed it up a few years ago. I like the compact form factor and simple design. Above all, it sounds good. I also have an FT-101 which as you probably know was the second tuner manufactured by Magnum Dynalab. I find that I like the sound of the FT-11...
  6. MiamiEd

Listening to Gary Ferguson’s Blues Hour on 88.9 FM WDNA. He is playing Howling Wolf, Robert Cray, Bobby Womack, Yusef Lateef, Stevie Ray and Ken Mo. Magnum Dynalab ST2 in a second floor closet, with an FT11. Inspire electronics into Spendor LS3/5a’s. Sounds sublime in a tiny listening room.
  7. MiamiEd

Listening to WDNA 88.9 Miami on the Magnum Dynalab FT-11. Heard a 1953 version of Thelonious Monk playing Straight, No Chaser, followed by son T. S. Monk’s Think of One. Miles Davis was next with a ballad. Then, one of my favorite guitarists, Jim Hall was featured in Lucky Thing. Right after...
  8. MiamiEd

i have had my 8b for 30 years now. It is almost all original. The build quality is unsurpassed. Paired with LS3/5a’s or Spendor 3/5’s I never tire of listening to it. The 10b is a beautiful and gorgeous sounding receiver. The interior reminds me of the R390 that I once owned in terms of build...
  9. MiamiEd

Thank you. I currently use a simple Aikido line stage with my 8b and it sounds great. Yes, the 7 and the 10b are both on my list.
  10. MiamiEd

That is an interesting coincidence. What a great tuner. I would love to have one to go with my 8b. Maybe one day…
  11. MiamiEd

Hi Smitty, we are lucky to have this high quality Jazz station here. Miami is not exactly a hotbed of Jazz. WLRN 91.3 also has Jazz in the evenings. Internet or satellite radio options are available but I prefer the sound quality of FM. Happy listening!
  12. MiamiEd

Listening to 88.9 WDNA on my Magnum Dynalab FT11. The mood tonight is blue. Miles Davis’ Blue on Green from his seminal 1959 album Kind of Blue followed by Shirley Scott’s cover of the Sonny Rollins classic Blue 7. Next up was Crepuscule With Nelly by Thelonious Monk and Billie Holiday singing...
  13. MiamiEd

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

February 7, 2017
  14. MiamiEd

Listening to WDNA-FM 88.9. The late and greatly missed Chick Corea with Christian McBride on bass and Brian Blade…But Beautiful-Live. This was followed by the Basie Band and then McCoy Tyner, another jazz giant we lost in 2020 with a late career recording of John Coltrane’s Impressions. Dave...
  15. MiamiEd

What a beautiful, classic receiver! I never knew that Hallicrafters produced an FM capable receiver in that era.
Back
Top Bottom