Recent content by Punk_oldie

1. Punk_oldie

Peter Gabriel So - early pressings warp

I have two original UK pressings (Townhouse and Copperman) and they're both perfectly flat.
  2. Punk_oldie

That Grado Opus3 Cartridge

I too found the highs rolled off to begin with, but now, having had this cart for around 80 hours, it's excellent all round. As others have said, (and to my ears at least), for the price an absolute cartridge bargain.
  3. Punk_oldie

Denon DL-110 vs Ortofon 2M Blue - what did I do wrong?

Yes, all very strange - the only way the OP is going to get a true idea of whether the Ortofon is the difference in what he's hearing between the two set-ups is if he sets it up on his own TT. And from that, to achieve what I think he wants i.e. achieve the elements of the Ortofon which he likes...
  4. Punk_oldie

That Grado Opus3 Cartridge

If you don't mind me asking, what VTA have you got yours set up at?
  5. Punk_oldie

Am I just expecting too much?

More of a general observation, but sometimes comments make me smile: "My system is inky black silent between tracks on good vinyl" -> "but through headphones a tiny bit of background noise is unavoidable" -> "and a vinyl rip played back through headphones just accentuates the inherent flaws in...
  6. Punk_oldie

Do you have enough records?

I did have around 2000 LPs and was adding more and more, but a while ago I realised that I hardly listened to a chunk of them, and probably wouldn't listen to those LPs more than once or twice every few years, so concluded 'what's the point of having them really?'. So I split my collection into...
  7. Punk_oldie

Record cleaning - first get rid of the static!

Why does washing records work? I absolutely agree that my experience confirms this, but given that the effect persists, and the records are all 100% dry following the wash cycle before being played, how does this work? Just to reiterate, I have found this holds true even for brand new records...
  8. Punk_oldie

Wood Headshells...

My experience also. Others may have more to say, but in my experience what you want from a headshell is minimum resonance, maximum rigidity and appropriate weight / mass for compliance, and for me metal / alloy headshells seem to best meet these requirements. If you're really interested Korf...
  9. Punk_oldie

Cartridge for heavy metal

If the carts you've listed so far on this thread constitute your whole collection I'd seriously suggest trying the AT-VM95E (or EN) if your budget can cover that. I listen to some very heavy stuff and I find that AT carts are actually really excellent performers because you keep the bass but...
  10. Punk_oldie

Wanting to upgrade from a Rega Carbon cart

So many excellent options in this price range (Ortofon, Nagaoka, Audio Technica, Sumiko, Denon and many others), I think you need to provide a bit more info in terms of what you're looking for with regards to preferred sound, what types of music you listen to, whether you'll be sticking to...
  11. Punk_oldie

Grado Timbre Series Opus3

Interesting re. the tonearm. As best as I can find out the Jelco SA370H tonearm with no headshell fitted is c.12g mass, and has adjustable damping. The ADC LMG-1 is 5.6g (I measured this on my digital scales) - so total mass is c.17.6g. I also have damping set at maximum. However, this is...
  12. Punk_oldie

Just a quick update, having played with VTA and loading I found that, for my system, the most pleasing balance between veiled and overly bright is with a very slight 'tail up' VTA, but most noticeably of all, setting impedance to 100k ohms. This has really seemed to open the cart up without...
  13. Punk_oldie

Thanks all, I've spent a few more hours with it and as I say, for classical and instrumental it is a nice sounding cart, so I don't think it's faulty. I suspect what I'm hearing is a combination of being used to the brighter tone of the AT cart, the 'house Grado sound', and probably a bit of old...
  14. Punk_oldie

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but it seemed precisely relevant so rather than start a whole new one.............. I took delivery of an Opus 3 a week or so ago, mounted it on my ADC LMG headshell on my Jelco SA370H tonearm, with damping dialled to 'Max'. This is connected to an Atoll P200SE...
  15. Punk_oldie

Azimuth>Should you care? And new gadget

So if you have Audacity and a test record is it possible to measure channel balance specific to azimuth, and how would you distinguish any imbalance due to azimuth from any imbalance inherent in the cartridge L/R output (something which is common)?
Back
Top Bottom