Recent content by Mopic5

1. Mopic5

Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

Just an update on an inquiry from Chris..... Hello, I'm new to the forum, but have previously been directed to your posting from other sites. It seems as though you are one of the earlier adapters of the wood glue cleaning method. As such, I was wondering if you have been doing the method...
  2. Mopic5

Well, one thing to figure on is that the surface noise may not be dirt and grunge - but damage from a diamond running amok on the groove walls. In addition, a few polyvinyl formulas in the 1980s began a sad march south on quality. I've seen examples with garbage, not unlike cardboard, imbedded...
  3. Mopic5

Plinth thread

And decide for yourself you should. Getting a turntable out of a resonant, hollow box and up on stilts will often produce noticeable improvements. But then I'd consider using this as a baseline for testing sinking it into various solid mass plinths. And there are certain stock, solid plinths...
  4. Mopic5

Plinth thread

Bryan's legacy to stir the pot stretches over many years and many audio sites and now it even seems to have landed here. To try and take issue with his numbers and his trolling game would be to feed into just what he likes to do. If you like to theorize and argue without practical purpose, you...
  5. Mopic5

Plinth thread

Oftentimes, we learn so much from our mistakes: Those seemingly obvious, but overlooked physical principals that will be drummed into one’s head by few other means like that of a failure that has cost us time and energy. But once you decide to have at it again, success is often assured by...
  6. Mopic5

Plinth thread

You've got the interest of Mike and Mel, two of the best plinth builders that I've seen in the several years. Making it a true 3M, I'm in as well. - Mario P.S. Texun1's Empire Building contribution is just plain beautiful, as well.
  7. Mopic5

Your smudge might be some water soluble glob like a drop of dried soda pop. PVA glue is less successful at removing adhesed gunk like soda pop or fungi than loose grunge. You might consider a "spot clean" of your smudged area with a wet record cleaning solution of your choice, then come back for...
  8. Mopic5

Sometimes a too thick layer will take forever to dry - and even leave pockets of trapped liquid glue waiting "to bust a gut" during the peel. But you are right about too thin a coat becoming a real headache to peel. Revisiting the ancient recipe: For a normally "full" side of grooves, 30 ml...
  9. Mopic5

You're welcome! Of course, I've been just passing on the good news that others began experimenting with back in the mid-80s. - Mario
  10. Mopic5

Jimmyzane, Do you know you're responding to Klownschool's post (#3) some 5 1/2 years ago? A lot of glue has gone under the bridge since then.... Best, Mario
  11. Mopic5

The OP author, in turns, thanks all who contribute to this thread - be it the good, bad or ugly. But before we run the "be careful" flag all the way up the mast. We might want to ask why there was a change between your early treatments with various PVA glues showing white "staining" (or...
  12. Mopic5

Actually, "terry cloth" may conjure up a cotton product in the minds of many. I believe mine are a non-poly synthetic fiber - with a high count of 360 gsm or better (grams per square meter). But they certainly do look like "terry cloth"..
  13. Mopic5

Obviously there's more than one way to skin the "static" cat, here. But you might finds my regimen helpful: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837&page=48 In the 2 1/2 years since that post, I've come to rely more and more on these microfiber cloths for brushing off dried...
  14. Mopic5

The best (vinyl) recording engineers over the years.

Kenneth Wilkinson "Wilkie" - London/Decca - The recording engineer most responsible for the "London" sound (Phase-4 excluded). He also modified the Decca "tree" in the late 50s, and made microphone placements a closely guarded art form. He was instrumental in the developed the moving coil cutter...
  15. Mopic5

Please Relieve Me of my Raffle Prize (Tube Amp)

They will drive speakers and phones. Class A 6.5 WPC stock - though you can roll in some KT66s for a little more oomph. Campbemj, The auction is starting at $100 and runs thru next Sunday. Curious you can't get the link. Maybe you should try to access it via the main discussion forum listing...
Back
Top Bottom