Recent content by mythrenegade

1. M

Reel to Reel? Unsure whether I need one...

I honestly hope I never come across a great deal on a reel to reel because it’s a lock I’ll buy it. And then get sucked into the rabbit hole. And I have no space for one. And I don’t need it. And I want it terribly.
  2. M

Reel to Reel? Unsure whether I need one...

Before you spend any money, watch this:
  3. M

Could it be true, iPhone going to USB type C

No wires at all? That sounds like something Apple would do. Wait for the next iPhone to be as thick as a credit card ;-)
  4. M

List your Klipsch speakers

I have a set of KG 5.5’s I bought new in 1997 or so. I deeply desire a pair of chorus II’s.
  5. M

Could it be true, iPhone going to USB type C

Apple has never changed connectors for one that takes up more space. Ever. That’s literally all you need to know to understand that they are not going to go USB-c. No way. No how. And there is zero upside. A bigger fatter connector with no technical benefit (speed isn’t really a factor, the iPad...
  6. M

Klipsch 5.5 buzz buzz and the back fell off help please

I have these speakers. I bought them new in 1997 or so. They are amazing speakers, they will reveal detail in recordings you’ve never heard before. I absolutely love mine. Interestingly, the back fell off of my right speaker recently. I took a bit of gorilla wood glue, and put a thin strip...
  7. M

DAC Challenge

I fled California six years ago or I would totally have driven to San Diego to try this with you. It sounds like fun. I don’t know why everyone prefers to argue on this. What kind of scotch do you like? I am currently desperately head over heels for the Port Charlotte Islay Malt Heavy Peat...
  8. M

Best indoor FM antenna?

i discovered that my local classical station replays the Philadelphia Orchestra concerts, causing me to hook up the basic FM antenna that gets packed in with capable equipment. It doesn’t do a great job. An outdoor antenna is not possible for two reasons: (1) they tend to get hit by lightening...
  9. M

Schiit Modi Uber 2 vs Bifrost Multi Bit

So, back to the original question: for ME, the Bifrost isn’t worth the extra money. I went Modi Multibit because I don’t care about upgradability, I am going to listen to this thing as much as possible and if something better comes out I’ll move it somewhere else in the house or eBay it or (most...
  10. M

Have I Made A Mistake, Or Is This Going To Work Out OK?

Schiit makes stuff in their own factory and keeps little inventory on hand, so things are almost always backordered. I love my modi multibit, that’s all I own from them. Enjoy the Cambridge!
  11. M

Schiit Modi Uber 2 vs Bifrost Multi Bit

I have a Denon DCD-2560 and a Modi Multi-bit for my media server. I dare anyone to tell them apart in a blind test. It’s amazing how good they both sound. I upgraded to the modi because my old DAC was embarrassed by this CD player.
  12. M

Mac Mini owners with DACs

Theory matters. What you are claiming is akin to saying “my apps work better when they were compressed with zip before download vs. other compression software” because the end result is exactly the same. If the XLD rips sound better to your ears, then perhaps they are EQing your files pre-rip...
  13. M

You disagree. Fine, so... what exactly is the difference then? The very definition of lossless compression is that when the compression is uncompressed the resulting bits are exactly the same as what went into the algorithm. If it does not do that, it is not lossless. Period. By the very...
  14. M

If you are ripping to lossless it does not matter what you use, as the exact same bits are hitting the DAC. If you are ripping to a lossy codec, then sure, there can be differences. Joel
  15. M

Cassette tape decks, what is the fascination?

For me, it’s about digitizing tapes I made of my jazz fusion band back in the day. That music is nowhere else, and I want to preserve it. I have very few of my prerecorded tapes, I tossed most of them years ago. But I kept all of the original music. For fun I’m building a mix tape of favorite...
Back
Top Bottom