Recent content by Nat

1. Nat

KLH 6'S OR JBL 4311B'S

Be aware that you will likely hear details you haven't heard before, and that can't help but impress. But be aware that to a large degree, the things you haven't noticed before are being accentuated more on the new speaker because of frequency response irregularities rather than being proof...
  2. Nat

Does Garrard have the worst wow & flutter?

Wow! If that actually is the problem, that is an exemplary instance of remote diagnosis.
  3. Nat

There are O rings and there are round rubber rings that resemble them but are of much lower quality - some even have flashing from the molds not sealing properly. I believe real O rings are made to pretty high tolerances. But even they can be distorted if twisted when put onto the pulley. So...
  4. Nat

Julian Hirsch gets a bad rap from people who know him only from the subjective press's calumny. When Stereophile started publication, and then later The Absolute Sound appeared, most reviews focused on specs, and were pretty sparing with comments about how things sounded (though if you wanted...
  5. Nat

A and B and impedance

It will usually lower the watts, but the power remains the same, I believe.
  6. Nat

A and B and impedance

I don't believe running two pairs of speakers in series lowers the power or volume available because the resistance is higher- the amp section has whatever power it has. It will put out less current, but since two pairs of speakers are playing, the volume will probably be about the same. But...
  7. Nat

Radio Shack Minimus-1

I can't think of any reason to use black plastic fake wood rather than actual wood veneer other than cost. Certainly there are other materials than MDF and particle board (and if memory serves, the Minimus Is are plywood under the veneer), but I find it hard to believe that all those...
  8. Nat

Speakercraft speaker?

Oh yeah - the blue woofers were in the Marantzes. And I've actually used the Peerless mid, so should have recognized it.
  9. Nat

JBL L100(4311) vs pioneer hpm 100

If I had the Dahlquists and the appropriate power, I wouldn't be bothering with the other speakers. Certainly it is fun to play around, but to me, the JBLS, Pioneers and Yamahas are lesser speakers. And the fact that you have a pair of Cerwin Vegas in the room suggests you like different...
  10. Nat

Speakercraft speaker?

The mid and tweeter look like good quality drivers (SEAS?), and the blue woofers look like EPI/Genesis/Burhoe etc drivers, so the speaker might be pretty good.
  11. Nat

KLH Model Six Recap+missing tweeter

Wait. It will be better in the long run. Ailenes is a milk glue whereas the original doping is solvent based, and unless you get all the old doping off, the two dopings will not coexist happily over the long run..
  12. Nat

Radio Shack Minimus-1

You'd be surprised. I have a pair, uncapped, so not as good as they might be, and they still sound fine. And they look an awful lot better than most inexpensive modern speakers with their ubiquitous black plastic fake wood veneer. I will admit that when I saw them from afar at a tag sale, I...
  13. Nat

Electro-voice speaker identification

Don't assume they would actually sound better with a separate tweeter. There is a coherence to single driver loudspeakers that can be more believable and more attractive than the more extended highs you would get with a tweeter. The crossover and the physical separation between drivers muddy...
  14. Nat

Saba 50 K Loudspeakers

If they sound good to you, they are good for you. But who is this guy demanding more bass distortion? You said he faulted them for low bass distortion. OOPS - Just realized you mean distortion in the low bass rather than insufficient distortion in the bass as a whole. But right back to my...
  15. Nat

A and B and impedance

That sounds like a challenging load. Have you tried running them in series? That would be perfectly safe, though the volume knob would be a little higher.
Back
Top Bottom