Recent content by nedseg

1. nedseg

JBL L5 speakers: how are they at lower listening levels please? And bass response? Any opinions appreciated!!

You won't regret it. I have a pair sitting on my electronics bench (!) and am always astounded how deep they go. I'd rate these as #2 on my list of favorite "CL finds for the money", after the nearly NIB L25 Primas (less money, used for TV audio more often). They do take a bit of power to go...
  2. nedseg

OLD vs. NEW: JBL 2216 (LE15B) vs JBL 2216ND-1 in L200s

Sounds like a very cool project, congrats! SRM51555 and I have talked about using the 2450SL (?) + ? horn instead of the 077/175/N8000 combo - he even brought one up ( w/smith type horn) to try out but gabbbed too long instead:) (At one point I even figured out a way to sqeeze one of the wood...
  3. nedseg

How to price modded JBL L200/L300's?

My take - having watched L200s from when I bought mine in the 70s - is - a) value of the drivers only, or b) as MCM 'exhibits' Couple of points: - I saw an experienced MCM reseller go practically nuts when he saw these a few years back - he'd never heard of them before. Mine are nearly...
  4. nedseg

OLD vs. NEW: JBL 2216 (LE15B) vs JBL 2216ND-1 in L200s

Haven't looked for a while. Appears that ND-1's are no longer listed, and 2216NDs are 'out of stock' - I assume you called them to ask? https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/jbl-2216nd-woofer-for-jbl-m2-5041785/ My ND-1s went up in price qutie a bit, then dissapeared off their listings...
  5. nedseg

JBL L26 replacement woofers?

I paid $150 for my pair of L5s 5 years ago, were in near mint condition. (CL). Only used in my elect. shop as 'testers' so have never compared them directly to L25s; would make an interesting comparo, for sure, but weigh a ton. The L5s are also a LOT less efficient, but when powered well enough...
  6. nedseg

JBL L26 replacement woofers?

As do the L25 Primas. Mine had woofs redone in the early 2000s by the previous owner. I was going to stuff 305s in the cabinets until I heard them. I set up 305s, IN8s and Primas together and compared them (balanced levels even) and was amazed at how much wider the soundstage was on the Primas...
  7. nedseg

JBL parts in vintage stereo console

Very pretty console! Good idea. I'd go simpler - install powered JBL 305s/308s (I like the Kali IN8s, or ones of your choice) behind the existing baffles/grilles. That'd also give you lots of flexiblity/simplicity of choice for the front end gear - no amps needed, less wiring, etc...
  8. nedseg

Looking for amp to power JBL B460

I have a 4645C, not the handsome as heck B460, but probably similar results. I'm using a Crown 1502 bridged, to drive it. It was inexpensive, and has built in (DSP) filters. Certainly provides the dynamic range desired :-> However, if I had a larger budget, or more rack space, or was starting...
  9. nedseg

JBL 4367 experience?

@markd51 Hey from another 'sconnie! I have ND1s in my 'original' L200s, see: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/old-vs-new-jbl-2216-le15b-vs-jbl-2216nd-1-in-l200s.830641/ I'm still using N8000 xovers for the horn and 077s, but am considering going 3 ways. Hadn't thought of Madisound...
  10. nedseg

JBL L25 Prima Restoration

Mine sound amazing, too - surprised the heck out of me. I had (the wood) Decades back in the 70s, and wasn't very impressed with them; these sound quite a bit better (or could be aging ears?:), esp in bass response. (Woofs were refoamed a few years back). Anyway, attached are a few pics. I had...
  11. nedseg

where can I get L200 grilles?

I've purchased two sets of the dark blue ones from sonofagun (cat damaged the first pair after a few years) and they look totally original to me. The originals disintegrated after <10 years; the first set of his are nearly that age with no sign of problems. The look is well worth it.
  12. nedseg

Can´t decide: L200 or 4502/4320 ?

I doubt big JBLs are going to ever increase in value again (as speakers), but the look of absolute lust and envy in the eyes of an MCM resale person who visited a little while ago was certainly suggestive. And, he didn't know what they were, either...and was impressed when he found they were...
  13. nedseg

Speaker cloth recommendations

I've used Huntley Audio with great results. https://www.ebay.com/usr/huntley_audio?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
  14. nedseg

JBL L5 Owners Question About Woofers Please!

Just checked my pair - rarely listened to, and even more rarely looked at - no wrinkles: Jeepers they sure look nice. Also known to be original (2nd owner).
  15. nedseg

Custom built JBL speakers

4645Cs can sometimes be found for small amounts b/c they are huge and heavy/ difficult to transport. 2242 woofs. Abuse history might be an issue if used commercially. But I got mine from an advertising/commercial studio who rarely used them - for a song, so to speak. Many others to choose...
Back
Top Bottom