Recent content by nfafan

1. N

Modern 16ohm tweeters out there to replace Realistic Nova 7B 0705Ae ?

Hello all, Need 4 of these and hoping to find modern - as in readily obtainable - substitute tweeters for the old 0705Ae. Thanks tons in advance!
  2. N

Source for EPI 101 replacement foam grills anywhere?

Hello all, thanks for the replies! The "original?" foam grills (that came with speakers and are disintegrating...) had no emblems and are just about a 1/2" thick. The foams friction fit inside of a brass "U channel" that surrounds the perimeter of the grill when installed. Looks like the...
  3. N

Source for EPI 101 replacement foam grills anywhere?

Hello all, Does anyone know of a source for the EPI 101 flexible acoustic foam grills (these grill foams were designed to friction-fit inside of a brass channel along the front face of the speaker) ? Or of thin acoustic foam sheets that might work? thanks tons in advance! Steve in Pittsburgh
  4. N

Quick question - are Nova 8 drivers useful to populate a Nova 8B cabinet?

I discovered that the top-most tweeter in both cabinets was nonfunctional, but the mids, woofer were fine in both. Amazingly, the worse cabinet had working L-Pads, the other did not. They are good enough as-is for garage use. Would have been spectacular for use in the house had the owner taken...
  5. N

Quick question - are Nova 8 drivers useful to populate a Nova 8B cabinet?

Back story - have a pair of Nova 8Bs that sound decent - considering that each has lost use of one of the pair of mid/tweets. So, I pushed them to the end of the re-furb to-do list for the time being. Until today. I just picked up a pair of Nova 8s from the original owner (as all CL sellers...
  6. N

Speakers For Those Who Abuse Them & Haven't Learned To Appreciate SQ Or Be Responsible Stereo Owners

True that. Find Fisher monkey, er, gorilla coffins with the big 15” woofers with the white cones. They don’t come alive until they are cop-at-the-door loud and these speakers are cheap.
  7. N

Ohm Walsh 4

I've thought the same thing about re-caps of all speakers; the original voicing is what drew us into these speakers when new, so I keep leaning towards using modern, fresh, electrolytics in my many projects waiting for attention.
  8. N

Restoring some Electro-Voice 12TRXB speakers

Try rotating the driver in each so the horn is vertical vs. Horizontal. IIRC that was the factory recommendation.
  9. N

Another set of AR3 speakers leaving the US

Hope springs eternal for those of us with pairs of unloved speakers in their stash...
  10. N

Any EPI 100 owners share their thoughts?

I have EPI-100Vs (vinyl vs. veneer) and have been impressed by their build quality (aside from the spring posts) and most importantly their sound. Excellent low-volume listeners. I picked up a pair of EPI-101Vs - slightly larger than the 100s, but I still haven't refurbed them with the Human...
  11. N

EPI Speakers Appreciation

I found my EPI-100s to be the best low-volume listening speakers I own. They are in the never-ever-sell stack behind my Walsh 2s and OLAs.
  12. N

Smaller Advent Crossover Question(s)

Would it make sense to use modern electrolytics so as to maintain the original voicing - after all, that is what made these speakers so special?
  13. N

What are these royal? Worth buy or pass

I have a pair of Royal5A, made in Canada, 2-way acoustic suspension in very nice walnut veneered cabinets, on the to-do pile for new foam surrounds.
  14. N

Best substance to use to clean speaker grill cloth.

True that, KLH masonite warped with ease and I barely got the cloth wet. Manitoulin - as in Manitoulin Island? Cool place, cool people. I was there once, worked a week at Manitoulin Transport putting in a help desk aplication eons ago.
  15. N

I think I found some EPI M100's for free

You will love these when you are done.
Back
Top Bottom