Recent content by nickdinatale

1. nickdinatale

RIP Balou

Very sorry for your loss - what a cutie he was.
  2. nickdinatale

Audiophile Beer!

I'm a big fan of Singlecut. Beyond having KT66 and 6V6 Imperial Pale Lagers, just about everything else is music related. "Jane She Is a Clerk" was the first one of theirs that I bought (couldn't say no to a Velvet Underground related beer) and I haven't had a bad one yet. "Shyness Is Nice" is...
  3. nickdinatale

1960 Ampex Custom Stereo Console

Also! In a lot of consoles, the speakers and turntable are often the weak spot. Once you have everything up and running, it may be worth looking into other options. It all depends on how serious of a listener you are, though.
  4. nickdinatale

1960 Ampex Custom Stereo Console

Great save, and even more special that you'll be able to keep it in the family. The experts on Ampex gear will point you in the right direction. A schematic will be your friend. It sounds like you're referring to the multi-section "Can" electrolytic caps. You'll have a few options there...
  5. nickdinatale

JanZen and Realistic Electrostatic Speakers.

I have a pair of Janszen Z400's that I've set up a few times to listen to. They're nice and give you some of the best of both worlds - the smooth highs of an electrostatic with some decent bass capabilities. It will definitely depend on what you're running them with. I've also seen mention about...
  6. nickdinatale

JBL L65 Jubal: New life or put to rest?

Great find either way. The crystal slot tweeters are getting quite expensive! I'll hold out some hope that a pair will appear on the side of the road for me as well :rflmao:
  7. nickdinatale

Craigslist scammer on the road again

Just checked my texts, this was the one I replied to. He even specified a street. "I'm just west of Shirley Center on Whitney"
  8. nickdinatale

I think this is the one I replied to.
  9. nickdinatale

He had an ad in Ayer, MA for a Sansui 9090DB. I replied and he said I could come by the next day. Once I responded again to set up a time, nothing. Of course the ad said he was willing to ship, so once he ghosted I recognized the scam. Just for kicks, I did it again from a different number and...
  10. nickdinatale

Anyone ever do a JBL N1200 DIY build? (Another 3-way JBL thread)

I think the L-pad route will be the one I'm going, as I've seen a lot of other threads you've been involved in mentioning that with positive results. Thank you for the help in this department! I have a pair of McIntosh C8 preamps, which have pretty decent EQ options for something from that time...
  11. nickdinatale

Hi Todd, thanks for this. Having some trouble figuring out which parts of the N1200 can be cut along with the two taps that I won't have from the 1.1mH. I'm assuming I won't need R2 and R3 any longer, but is there anything else that gets removed?
  12. nickdinatale

I'm working on putting together a 3-way JBL system in a pair of C34 cabinets that I'm close to finishing up. It would look something like: 130A, 175/2410, and 075. At the moment, I only have a single N1200 crossover and the prices for a second are leading me to consider just building my own and...
  13. nickdinatale

Rumbling tube preamp has had me baffled for months

So after a few days, the rumble is still present, though not as loud. As @gadget73 suggested, I measured the voltage on startup to see if it was spiking higher than the cap was spec'd for. It got up to about 425vdc, before coming back down into the 300s. HOWEVER! I tried giving a little volume...
  14. nickdinatale

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Yeah, I’m just referring to the cases where people have actually thought the cloth was no good as opposed to just needing to be redoped
  15. nickdinatale

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Whenever I see a pair of AR's where the cloth surrounds were removed in order to add foam, my heart hurts.
Back
Top Bottom