Recent content by njvaldes

1. N

Late 2009 Mac Mini as music server

That's the point I'm making as well. I think time machine is great but for Daphile I don't see a way to do both. It seems the install is fairly easy. I'm going to try it this evening. As someone mentioned I guess my best backup is all the CD's I own. I do have some rips from friend's sources...
  2. N

Cool. I don't have any android devices. I have an older 2011 MBP that is my main computer currently. I plan to get a new desktop sometime this year but for now I'd like to just re-purpose the mini to something useable. It sounds to me like the mini running Daphile will be fine with my setup. One...
  3. N

Thanks for all the tips. Daphile sounds like an excellent choice. I'll have to decide how I'll control it but I've got a pretty old iPad that could work otherwise just using my phone or spare desktop is an option. I'll look into it. I read through the install instructions and it seems fairly...
  4. N

I've had a late 2009 Mac Mini (2.26GHz w/ 2GB RAM) since I bought it new coming up on a decade ago. I haven't used the computer for years and decided to unpack it and fire it up today. I have a ton of music saved on it and I'm interested the most cost effective way of using it as a music server...
  5. N

Where to start the upgrade process when new?

That's the one. I'll grab some of the tools and get back to it tonight or tomorrow and report back. I've been very happy with the $0 net investment for the CX-17's and think I'll keep this setup and invest my time in setting up the table and cleaning out the Panasonic using the lengthy deoxit...
  6. N

These are all good pieces of advice. I'm always up to first maximize what I can with the gear I have. I'm very happy I bought the DCM speakers. I got them for $15 net and they are so much clearer than the technics at the levels of listening. I'll need to toy with speaker placement...
  7. N

Thanks Zen and others. This is sound advice. I think more than anything getting the current system as clean and tidy as possible is most important to me. I was able to get the TT really well grounded and it's quieter than it's ever been. I am going to look into grounding the receiver to a pipe...
  8. N

Stylus hasn't been on my radar but that does make sense. I'll start researching there. As far as speakers go, are there some good 'best bets' in the sub $200 range? I've been looking at Klipsch KG series as a potential starter set of speakers. In my price range I doubt I'll find anything...
  9. N

First, I hope this is the right forum to post in. As a relative audio neophyte, I'm interested in maximizing my system in my budget but struggle with where to start. I've long had a fairly large collection of vinyl, cd's and digital music that I've listed to through low end bose bookshelf...
  10. N

Panasonic SA-700 receiver

First, hello all. I'm an amateur with pertains to audio equipment but have become increasingly interested in upgrading (albeit slowly) my home audio listening setup for my vinyl, cd and digital music collection. I had been borrowing a nice, clean Pioneer SX-650 receiver. He urged me to give a...
Back
Top Bottom