Recent content by northpaw

1. northpaw

Kenwood basic c2 mild issue right channel seems 10% quieter

If it were me, I'd first verify it isn't the amp/speakers by swapping the RCA output connections L-for-R at the rear of the C2 and finding the problem travels to the other speaker. In the same vein, speaker placement/listener location in a room can affect perceived balance, so it is best to know...
  2. northpaw

Electronics supply store recommendations?

I visited my bother in OC earlier this year, and as I was there only for a couple of days, we went to Mar-Vac Electronics in Costa Mesa to get some solder and flux, and to see on the off-chance if they had some other parts we needed for a repair. I was amazed by what they stocked. We were able...
  3. northpaw

My Adcom GFA-5800 transformer hums!

IIRC, 300mVDC on mains would be well within the range of causing saturation in the core, which leads to the buzzing. Carefully read the Elliott article. He explains things pretty thoroughly, and gives examples, including advice on how to safely measure small DC voltage on a large AC voltage.
  4. northpaw

My Adcom GFA-5800 transformer hums!

If the Adcom has a toroid, particularly a large one, it probably is DC on mains. The fact that you have the problem when on some circuits (rooms) but not others would support that, as opposed to a fault in the amp. Often it is some appliance or a light dimmer on the same circuit that is...
  5. northpaw

Denon Avr-2802 receiver sucks !

To get the most out of these things, which may not be that great but should be decent, they do need to be set up right. For example, if you have not done so, make sure it doesn't think there is a subwoofer installed, and set speaker size to large, etc. Also use CD-Direct if that is an option...
  6. northpaw

Kenwood Basic C2 recap BOM

The diodes used to lower the supply voltage to the op amps are Zener diodes. I don't think any Schottky diodes are Zeners. Schottky diodes could be potential substitutes for regular diodes, but even there I would think only (or primarily) for those diodes used for rectification of AC voltages.
  7. northpaw

Kenwood Basic C2 recap BOM

If you look at the Specifications in the owner's manual, it gives the Input Sensitivity of both MM and MC. It is 2.5mV for the MM selections (47kΩ, 100kΩ), and 200µV for the MC selections (10Ω, 30Ω, 100Ω). These compare to an input sensitivity of 150mV for the line-level inputs. So there is a...
  8. northpaw

Nakamichi Receiver 1, Error in PCB?

This brings up an important point. Replacements should be obtained from long-established, trusted suppliers to industry. In the US that includes companies such as Digikey, Mouser, and Newark, and in the UK/Eu, Farnell, for example. Transistors obtained from ebay, Alibaba, Utsource, etc...
  9. northpaw

I can share my rudimentary understanding, but for more info you will have to read books on amp design and/or search the web. The output transistors have to be kept in an On state in order to provide linear output and low distortion. This means the audio signal needs to ride on top of a DC...
  10. northpaw

I've never had or worked on an Receiver1, so what I can say is pretty limited, but since you asked via PM for me to comment, I'll say what I can. I agree that there is a difference between what is on the schematic vs the PCB for VR301L, such as the PCB appears to show the wiper of VR301L...
  11. northpaw

NJM5532 vs NJM2068, Looking for opinions for replacing an NJM4558

We are on different continents, or I'd say there was something in the air or water. I had the same confusion about ECW and ECQ a few years ago. I had ordered some ECW in 10's quantities and started using them, and when I needed more (I needed a bunch to replace all the out-of-spec 1µF/50V caps...
  12. northpaw

Starting a Nakamichi SR-4A rebuild

The amber light is a start-up fault you'll have to chase down. Verifying PS voltages is a start. In the TA-2 thread I mentioned earlier there is some info from mannegzen on the meaning of some of the light colors that might help, and others might turn up in a search.
  13. northpaw

Denon amp changes input mode to Tuner after being turned off/on

IIRC, Denon integrated have this as a feature; both my PMA-500V and 900V do this. The manual might say something about it. The cap thing you mention most likely refers to a common design for storing tuner stations in memory. The cap maintains a voltage on the memory circuit when the unit is...
  14. northpaw

NJM5532 vs NJM2068, Looking for opinions for replacing an NJM4558

The ECQ caps are mylar. It's the ECW that are polypropylene. I like both, my favorite coupling caps.
  15. northpaw

NAD 7225PE - need a method to isolate TO3 case aka collector from chassis ground

I was happy to provide whatever support I could. I wish it could have had a better outcome. For my part, I learned from my participation, and I appreciate that. The best of luck in your next project, even if it is just relaxing, listening to some music with your pal napping at your feet.
Back
Top Bottom