Recent content by NOSValves

1. NOSValves

scott 299c-hum a few bars

Unavoidable micro hum? What exactly are you referring to as "micro hum"? With input jacks shorted what is the residue measure ac across an 8 ohm dummy load on the 8 ohm taps .. it should be really low like less than 1mV... which is not something someone can hear within a foot of the speaker even...
  2. NOSValves

McIntosh MC60 Pulses

If you were replying to me with that comment...no not at all. I've designed, rebuilt and repaired countless pieces of tube audio gear in my day... In my vast experience in this field circuits that employ gimmicky stuff like NE2 or insert whatever goofy new fangled reinvent the wheel modern...
  3. NOSValves

McIntosh MC60 Pulses

well in my opinion redesigning the circuit to get those gimmicky NE2's out of there is the real solution. I can't believe McIntosh stooped to such silloy levels just to sell an otherwise excellent product.....but then that is just me!
  4. NOSValves

THE end-all FIX for the Heathkit AA-100 integrated amp.

Smart move! Not worth the effort.
  5. NOSValves

Ummmmm only a single front end tube per channel in the 208 power amp so that method isn't going to work. My bet is one of the filter caps is failing or someone messed up the grounding scheme or added 3 wire grounded plug or ???? who knows. Properly working Scott amps should not hum at all!!!!
  6. NOSValves

You don't need to change the design in anyway to get the 208 dead silent with your ear within a couple feet of the speakers. If it's humming something is not electrically correct find the problem do not band-aid over it. The engineers at HH Scott knew what they were doing they did not design in...
  7. NOSValves

Vintage EL84 int. tube amps?

That'll work!
  8. NOSValves

Vintage EL84 int. tube amps?

Does the amp have 2 EL84's per channel? If so no way, could it ever even come close to those power numbers. Pair of EL84 is lucky to squeeze 15 watts per channel and that would be running the dog shit out of them.
  9. NOSValves

Eico HF-85 or Fisher 400-C Preamp?

$1100......maybe if the knee I'm about to have replaced goes well I'll have to start taking new client again. That is one lucrative price! For the shop that is, of course it depends on what all is included.
  10. NOSValves

HH Scott type 299

I thought I recognized your writing style! Yeah I'm just coming off a nearly a 2 year forced sabbatical from numerous family issues along with a number of health issues that have finally cleared....as of about 6 weeks ago I'm back refurbishing gear. Anyway good to read you again! kvflyer that...
  11. NOSValves

HH Scott type 299

Are your the same Archangel that used too hang on on the Scott list server and forum? If so I seem to recall your name was/is Bill? If so long time since we ran into each other.
  12. NOSValves

Fisher X202b

Well I'd be getting the above done before making any fleeting comments about why you have a lack of bass especially blaming it on some design flaw that in my opinion and experience does not exist!... I've rebuilt thousands of Scott amps in my day and never hear what your describing myself or...
  13. NOSValves

Dead Scott LK-72 Ouput Transformer. Shoot.

I'd be careful its very rare to see a transformer in such pristine condition on the inside to fail without some outside influence causing it. I'd be installing some 10 ohm cathode sensing resistors on those output tubes to confirm they are running as intended below 35 ma each.
  14. NOSValves

Fisher X202b

Yup that is at least part of it but if you keep searching you'll find more elsewhere in the circuit! Yes pecks can be a headache in some situations. But in this case I've never seen them cause the symptom he is describing. I've never heard of anyone complain about the bass response of a 299D in...
  15. NOSValves

Fisher X202b

No No I don't suggest its your imagination but I can easily give you at least a couple hundred customers that will very firmly disagree with your assessment. I also have a good many X202B customers that would agree with your preference in that respect. Both of those amplifiers "IF" working...
Back
Top Bottom