Recent content by oldvinyldude

1. oldvinyldude

Realistic STA-2000 fuse holder

Being a bit lazy, I would use solder on the job. Purists would poo poo that though. Always your call.
  2. oldvinyldude

Hitachi D220 Trim Pot functions?

I count 9 total, on the board. Perhaps the 230 model uses a similar board. If you have a HiEngine account, you could download the 230 service manual. Good that you ask though, as twiddling with these pots without knowing their effect is not recommended! How do your recordings sound? If they are...
  3. oldvinyldude

Panasonic rs-838s manual?

It's rare that manufacturers post specs for their boom boxes, even the better ones. Stand alone 8 Track decks of good quality might be 40-15khz, +\- 3 db, at best. A better boom box, a bit less, perhaps to 12khz. One of the best Akai decks, the CR81D, lists Frequency Response: 50Hz to 16kHz...
  4. oldvinyldude

Teac Reel Deck advice needed

Sonically, an incremental one. It would be primarily one of convenience and aesthetics. It looks cool, the digital tape counter is nice, it has RTZ (return to zero), and RTC (return to cue), very handy if you are editing, reverse record-no swapping of reels, and 10 1/2 reel capacity.
  5. oldvinyldude

There are a few adjustments that need to be made. Tension must be set accurately, preferably by using a Tentleometer. Spring gauges will not work. There is also a stroke adjustment for the pinch roller travel stop. Sometimes, the tension adjustment pots, being 40 years old, will not hold their...
  6. oldvinyldude

I have both A series decks and X series. The dual capstan design of the X series can be problematic, when out of adjustment, causing the tape to lose tension across the heads, also known as the dreaded Teac X series tape droop. Be sure to thoroughly test any purchase candidate, or be prepared to...
  7. oldvinyldude

Akai 202d-ss switches direction in play

I would clean any switches, and look for a relay involved in the switching process. Give it a good twack with your fingers to see if the issue goes away (for at least a short while). If the issue goes away, you have confirmed a dirty relay. It's possible to clean them, but for a lasting...
  8. oldvinyldude

AK Mid-Atlantic AK Spring Gathering May 5th, 2024!

How about we have it at your place:rflmao: Congrats on the retirement!
  9. oldvinyldude

AK Mid-Atlantic AK Spring Gathering May 5th, 2024!

I sent PM's to everyone on a list that Ghazzer supplied (thanks Steve!) I hope everyone got a message, but if not, just PM me and I will get you the details shortly. I also forgot to mention-please feel free to pass along the details to any member you might think would be interested. It would...
  10. oldvinyldude

If vinyl sounds better than digital, am I using the wrong DAC?

Vinilemania: You might wish to translate your post to English, as only a small minority of members will take the time to translate into English from another language. It's not mandatory, and no disrespect to non English speakers\writers. The goal is to have the most member be able to respond to...
  11. oldvinyldude

What does this hub assembly go to?

Looks like 60's vintage Japanese hardware, but only an educated guess.
  12. oldvinyldude

TDK Synchro E Magazine Tape ET-11

I recently watched a video covering lost\forgotten old magnetic formats. While most were computer storage designs, there were quite a few audio dinosaurs that I had never seen, and I have seen quite a few. I would cut and wind onto a standard reel, and see what you get. Or you can play the long...
  13. oldvinyldude

Any sense looking for a "higher end" 8 track player?

There are several videos on the Tube, which are very helpful. Just search ‘how to open a GRT 8 track cartridge’ or whatever brand you have in front of you.
  14. oldvinyldude

Yes, many variants on shells, but the majority do require spreading the shell apart at the 'business' end. while releasing a tab or tabs, and I have found the clothespin tool a big help. Exceptions are sure to show up and make me curse (again). :rant:
  15. oldvinyldude

I ran across somewhere-have no idea of where, now, a new tool for repairing 8 tracks (specifically for opening them up) Take a full size clothes pin, and wrap a thick rubber band around the handle ends-effectively opening the jaw as far as it can go. Now, squeeze the jaws together so it can fit...
Back
Top Bottom