Recent content by ouimetnick

1. ouimetnick

How do you connect this "ribbon" again ??

That kind of ribbon cable connection was popular on older Saabs and BMWs. If you ever see failing pixels on the Saab SID or climate control display, that’s because the connection fails over time.
  2. ouimetnick

Hafler DH 500 - good enough?

DH-500 or DH-220 (both have the same circuitry/driver boards, but the DH-500 is scaled up for more power). Very easy to work on, all parts are easy to replace except for the output MOSFETs which are NLA.
  3. ouimetnick

Boston VR-40 Crossover Disappointment

Curious about what more you can say about the 500l and how that compares to the VR40. I have a set of VR40s that I scored for $100. The cabinets aren't in the greatest condition and I had to make some new feet for them. I also have the VR-M90, and they don't seem to have the same low end of the...
  4. ouimetnick

Who here LOVES OHM ACOUSTICS Legacy Speakers from Before 1983 ?..I do !

I love my C2s. Had a pair of Ohm I as well. Ended up selling those, not my cup of tea.
  5. ouimetnick

Happy Birthday ouimetnick!

I haven't been on here in a while, so I'm just seeing this now. Thanks guys! Hope everyone is well and staying healthy. :)
  6. ouimetnick

Power Switch for Hafler?

That was a drop in replacement for my XL-280, DH-120, and DH-200. The XL-600 uses a slightly different switch, but you could still use the one I linked. The part number I mentioned is the same one that is sold on eBay by a former Hafler employee...
  7. ouimetnick

Schiit Sys

I have the Saga+ and love it. Really a big fan of the ability to adjust the volume with the remote. I’ll take it over my Hafler DH-101 any day.
  8. ouimetnick

DACs: Cheap vs Expensive

I have two E30s (one black and one silver) and a Schiit Modi 3+. I have one E30 in preamp mode (connected directly to an amp) and use the remote to adjust volume, and another in DAC mode connected to a Schiit Saga+. Great little unit. Can't really hear a difference between the Topping E30 and...
  9. ouimetnick

Plastic speaker baskets? New norm?

The idea behind plastic is it won’t “ring” like a stamped steel basket, and it’s less expensive than a cast basket. I’ve heard great sounding speakers with plastic baskets and crummy sounding speakers with stamped steel. It’s meaningless.
  10. ouimetnick

What audiophile magic? I agree that a properly designed USB implementation should be noice free, but how does fiber optic allow noise? I know some older Schiit Modi DACs allowed noise via USB (it was measurable, but I’m doubt one could actually discern anything with their own ears.)
  11. ouimetnick

I believe the only advantage with optical over coaxial SPDIF is you can avoid ground loops, RF and electromagnetic interference. Also “High Res” audio is anything over 16-bit/44.1kHz. So 24-bit/48kHz, 24-bit/88.2kHz, 24-bit/96kHz, 24-bit/192kHz, etc are all “high-res” Whether or not you can...
  12. ouimetnick

As of now, I have a AirPort Express connected via optical to the input on a Schiit Modi 3+ and I also connect my iPhone, iPad or Mac to a Topping E30 via USB. You’ll need a lightning camera connection kit from Apple to connect an iPhone or iPad with lightning connector to a DAC. Those DACs then...
  13. ouimetnick

How do your store your transistor stock?

I keep static sensitive components in the ESD bag they ship in.
  14. ouimetnick

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

I'm not sure if they are "rare" but they are hard to find. Boston Acoustics VR-M90 Knight KN-800 (inside ElectroVoice Aristocrat cabinets) Ohm Model I
  15. ouimetnick

Just buy a Topping E30 or a $99 Schitt Modi 3+. I have both and can't hear the difference between them. I also don't buy into the bullshit that people can actually hear a difference between audio interconnects, types of solder used, etc. Do an actual blind test where someone alternates between...
Back
Top Bottom