Jul 20, 2018 at 5:54 PM
Albums:

Followers 1

Home Page:
Audio Technician

Share This Page

Poinzy

Super Member, Male, from SE Michigan

If the Dual 1229 didn't have certain deficiencies, it wouldn't need a 7-pound platter. Jul 20, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Poinzy was last seen:
Jul 20, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    1. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If the Dual 1229 didn't have certain deficiencies, it wouldn't need a 7-pound platter.
    2. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Unless you plan to spin 78rpm records, you really don't need the torque provided by idler-wheel driven turntables.
    3. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The Dual 1229 is a good performer -- for an idler-wheel driven turntable.
    4. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I don't why people reach for Dual 1229's. The newer belt-driven Duals are more reliable and have better specs besides.
    5. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Man, if that doesn't get the thread rolling, I don't know what will.
    6. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Too bad you don't get credit for things you DON'T say.
    7. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If Michael Fremer tried to make a formal presentation in front of a group of materials or mechanical engineers, he'd be verbally gang-raped.
    8. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Any one with real technical knowledge just laughs at Michael Fremer. Fremer probably banks on his fan base never discovering this.
    9. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I've never seen a credentialed engineer engage in the kind of self-promotion that Michael Fremer does. Why does this guy rate column space?
    10. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      So many pros use audio interfaces with Windows that, if they thought bit depth was affected by OS gain, they'd scream bloody murder.
    11. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I enjoy violating people's safe spaces with what are meant to be completely innocuous posts.
    12. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      My Dad said his belt-drive AR turntable always looked a lot better than it performed. He finally sold it to get a Dual 701.
    13. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The cheapest shirt-pocket digital recorder outperforms the greatest consumer analog tape recorders ever made.
    14. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I'd say if your tonearm headshell has an audible sound signature -- even if you think it's desirable -- you have a problem.
    15. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The ideal tonearm headshell would be rigid, lightweight, and non-conductive.
    16. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      In more than 45 years of using turntables, I've never been able to trace performance differences back to differing headshell materials.
    17. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Guys often buy audio gear for same reason women buy jewelry: it isn't what the thing does, but how owning it makes you feel.
    18. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Engineers moved on from the cables "issue" a long time ago. It's only audiophile dweebs who are still talking about it.
    19. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Cables: Even when scientific information is available, people won't read it or, if they do read it, they'll refuse to believe it.
    20. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      People who make and sell "audiophile" power cables are preying on the gullible.
  • About

Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLBqen7AuDfqSlCzOi_r7ZQ
    Audio Technician
    Call me an audiophile, I dare you.

I'm an audio technician. Mostly, I just twist the dials for the people who do the real work. Projects have included engineering for a physicist doing a sound-level profile of Orchestra Hall for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
    My studio systems are all SS, with, for the most part, digital playback. I only ride the vinyl short bus when I have to do the occasional audio restoration project. To me, turntables are just tools for getting the job done. I'm a digital guy at heart. The oldest things in my collection right now: a Dual 1229 turntable (permanently retired) and a pair of KEF 2-way, 8-inch floor-standers in custom cabs. My desktop monitors are JBL LSR305's, hitched to a dbx 231s EQ.

Recommended book for vintage-heads: 'Radiotron Designer's Handbook', published by RCA. It's available as a free download. Just Google the title.
    Recommended site: 'Wireless World' http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Wireless_World_Magazine.htm

Signature

Any halfwit can claim a discovery. Getting one's peers to confirm the discovery, let alone apply it, is what takes brains.