Apr 22, 2018 at 1:01 PM
Albums:

Followers 1

Home Page:
Audio Technician

Share This Page

Poinzy

Super Member, Male, from SE Michigan

Makers of boutique audio gear benefit from not being important enough to sue. Apr 18, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Poinzy was last seen:
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:01 PM
    1. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Makers of boutique audio gear benefit from not being important enough to sue.
    2. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      There are things that occur to weekend-warrior audio hobbyists that would never occur to pro audio engineers in a million years.
    3. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Sony decided that the way to revive the audio disc market was to make the discs smaller.
    4. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I hope I never develop a case of polishophobia.
    5. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      New issue: wiring a bathroom for sound. Now I actually have to give serious consideration to how restored tracks will sound in the can.
    6. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I wonder if there is such a thing as optimizing a sound system for shellac.
    7. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I don't quite see the benefit of following me when you're on my ignore list, guy.
    8. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I'm contiunally reminded why I don't take vinyl seriously.
    9. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Limiting myself to one post per thread is SUCH a good idea. Let OTHER people do the arguing and get their posts deleted.
    10. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I refuse to do unpaid R&D for anyone. I just won't buy the company's products if they don't work.
    11. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      It's amazing how many people are taken in by ads and other low-info media like YouTube videos.
    12. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      There's only so much you can do to enhance the performance of consumer-grade, unbalanced, RCA cable.
    13. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      People who obsess about the performance of consumer-grade RCA cable really make me laugh. Pro cable is TRS or XLR (balanced) cable.
    14. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Home audio consumers often obsess about things that are complete non-issues to audio engineers.
    15. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I'm trying to achieve more depth in restored recordings. I don't quite know how to do it. I DON'T want to use reverb effects.
    16. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I thought *I* was obsessive....
    17. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      CD's are so much more reliable than vinyl LP's as playback media, it's a joke. You couldn't PAY me to collect vinyl again.
    18. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      CD defects seemed to disappear within the first year after CD's were released. LP defects, OTOH, have never been eradicated.
    19. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Remember it's not old, beaten up, and technologically obsolete. It's "vintage".
    20. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Uh-oh. I think some neurotics are going to have triggering moments because I criticized their favorite phonograph cartridge.
  • About

Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLBqen7AuDfqSlCzOi_r7ZQ
    Audio Technician
    Call me an audiophile, I dare you.

I'm an audio technician. Mostly, I just twist the dials for the people who do the real work. Projects have included engineering for a physicist doing a sound-level profile of Orchestra Hall for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
    My studio systems are all SS, with, for the most part, digital playback. I only ride the vinyl short bus when I have to do the occasional audio restoration project. To me, turntables are just tools for getting the job done. I'm a digital guy at heart. The oldest things in my collection right now: a Dual 1229 turntable (permanently retired) and a pair of KEF 2-way, 8-inch floor-standers in custom cabs. My desktop monitors are JBL LSR305's, hitched to a dbx 231s EQ.

Recommended book for vintage-heads: 'Radiotron Designer's Handbook', published by RCA. It's available as a free download. Just Google the title.
    Recommended site: 'Wireless World' http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Wireless_World_Magazine.htm

Signature

The Subjectivist Credo: That which is technical and incomprehensible to me is also unimportant.
    "Involving?" I've no idea.