1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice
Poinzy
Last Activity:
Nov 18, 2018 at 11:51 AM
Albums:

Followers 1

Home Page:
Audio Technician

Share This Page

Poinzy

Super Member, Male, from SE Michigan

Despite the warning not to judge a book by its cover, people will, nevertheless, judge a book, or anything else, primarily by its cover. Nov 16, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Poinzy was last seen:
Nov 18, 2018 at 11:51 AM
    1. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Despite the warning not to judge a book by its cover, people will, nevertheless, judge a book, or anything else, primarily by its cover.
    2. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      A civilian places a great deal of stock in appearance when he buys audio gear, at least as much as he does in actual performance.
    3. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Those who sell audio gear to pros and those who sell audio gear to civilians are marketing to different demographic groups.
    4. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      What unbelievably crude pieces of technology turntables are. The cynic in me is pleased to see people being gulled into buying them.
    5. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If I even think an argument about Behringer is brewing, I won't go near it. Life is too short.
    6. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      One problem with free-access threads: with everybody piling on, a problem can end up looking a lot more complicated than it actually is.
    7. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      With one post per thread, I minimize the chance of being accused by another poster, or a moderator, of starting an argument.
    8. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      My father's having his Hafler amps reconditioned. They're playing 1.5dB less loud than their normal house-quaking levels. This is important.
    9. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The next tt purchase is going to be a Technics SL1200GR. The sound is still going to suck, but I still need the best archiver I can afford.
    10. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      If you're not willing to spend more than $300 on a turntable, you might as well give up and spend the money on a CD player.
    11. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I'm guessing that the best answer now is: "Adult-education classes at a community college."
    12. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      There's such a thing as "burning in" electronic equipment. You do that by running it.
    13. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I remember when CD's were first released I couldn't get rid of my vinyl records fast enough. I've never regretted the decision.
    14. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I predict someone will not be intellectually curious enough to look up the term "noise floor".
    15. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I have a feeling a thread will shortly be locked. I probably shouldn't have posted in it. Oh well.
    16. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      I think my father's Dual 701 cost $400 new in 1974. That's roughly $2000 in 2018 dollars. $300 for a new deck? Yer throwing yer mun away.
    17. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The Just-In-Time-For-Christmas Beatles' White Album reissue. Thank God it's definitive, and that I'm not cynical.
    18. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      Down to about 500Hz, a room is treated. Below that frequency, a room is *tuned*. Some sofa cushions stacked in the corners won't work.
    19. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      The guys who originally mixed and mastered an album are the ones that are going to get all of the credit. No one cares about late-comers.
    20. Poinzy
      Poinzy
      What do you do with rock albums that were designed to be listened to through car radios? Answer: Not much.
  • About

Home Page:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLBqen7AuDfqSlCzOi_r7ZQ
    Audio Technician
    Call me an audiophile, I dare you.

I'm an audio technician. Mostly, I just twist the dials for the people who do the real work. Projects have included engineering for a physicist doing a sound-level profile of Orchestra Hall for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
    My studio systems are all SS, with, for the most part, digital playback. I only ride the vinyl short bus when I have to do the occasional audio restoration project. To me, turntables are just tools for getting the job done. I'm a digital guy at heart. The oldest things in my collection right now: a Dual 1229 turntable (permanently retired) and a pair of KEF 2-way, 8-inch floor-standers in custom cabs. My desktop monitors are JBL LSR305's, hitched to a dbx 231s EQ.

Recommended book for vintage-heads: 'Radiotron Designer's Handbook', published by RCA. It's available as a free download. Just Google the title.
    Recommended site: 'Wireless World' http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Wireless_World_Magazine.htm

Signature

Just cut the drama and buy the power cable.
    The only *advise* I can give you is that you invest in a dictionary.