Recent content by RayW

1. RayW

Cheap, easy diffusion panels

When we changed forum software the photo links took a hit. They will have to be reposted by the author(s).
  2. RayW

What does it take to build 3 way speakers?

What efzauner said pretty much nails it. Car subs aren't going to go up where you will want them to play in a design like that. You will also most likely be looking at a large sensitivity gap between subs and mid/tweeters. The only way this might work well is to design a 2-way that will get...
  3. RayW

A mouse chewed through my voice coil leads

Happened to me a few years ago. I just replaced both leads and went on with life. Be careful when you're disconnecting/reconnecting under the dustcap, the coil wire is pretty fragile and a lot of speaker makers pot that junction in adhesive to keep it safe(ish).
  4. RayW

Why drivers die

I had a speaker that died in storage. Upon investigation I found that a mouse (or mice) had taken up residence at some point and had eaten through the tinsel leads for the driver. I replaced them and it worked fine. Have you checked the individual drivers? If you pulled the drivers and...
  5. RayW

Questions regarding diy speaker

I like swiss cheese. :thumbsup: Sounds like a good plan to me. And I'll second the request for pics and build journal.
  6. RayW

Yeah, that's what I meant by the inherent bracing of separate enclosures. Pete said it better.
  7. RayW

:rflmao: Deafening silence, eh? First of all, great choice of drivers! I remember when those started as Lambda drivers and rocked the DIY world. Great stuff. You can certainly put the drivers in one enclosure. There are pros and cons either way. With both drivers in one space you will...
  8. RayW

Thinking about making my own

Congratulations on joining the ravening hordes in the DIY speaker world! Your second clause above is a bit of a crossroads though and which way you go depends on your end goal. If you don't understand the numbers and don't really want to, then building a kit or copying an existing design is...
  9. RayW

Great "Every Day Carry" knives

You squeeze the lock button and use a knurled bit on the backside of the blade to bring it out. Although with no spring, you can just push the locking button and flick your wrist and it will open pretty easily. I've had a Tekna Micro Knife for ages. Is that the sheath retracting one you...
  10. RayW

Great "Every Day Carry" knives

I've been looking for one of these since they came out and I was a poor college student and couldn't afford a decent knife. Finally caught up with one on ebay and snatched it up. I really like it for EDC. It's a Tekna Hidden Edge from the early 90's. Super light, locks open and closed, and...
  11. RayW

Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

Nice work, Phil!
  12. RayW

Please recommend small bookshelf speakers that sound best for cymbals

Yes, they can. The implementation of the material is more important than the material itself. There are wonderful soft domes out there (if you ever get the chance, check out the Hiquphon OW1). There are fantastic metal domes. There are also crappy examples of both.
  13. RayW

upgrade drivers

No, it doesn't work like that. Generally a design is engineered to meet a price point and be the best it can at that price. If a design is ripe for driver upgrades then it's because the drivers were chosen to meet that price criteria set beforehand. I once designed a crossover for a 2-way...
  14. RayW

Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

Seeing the picture, I remember the funky rear triangle. Great for mud clearance, not so great when a 200lb gorilla like me grinds on a hill climb and flexes it.
Back
Top Bottom