Recent content by rob Brandt

1. rob Brandt

Who made the best vintage audio?

According to Ebay's auction listings, Marant's tube gear is the all time champion bar none. Those items set records for their prices. The early SS gear is second to none as well. Beyond that, JBL's speakers from the '60s and some later models own the speaker category.
  2. rob Brandt

Teac X1000R very strange issue

See my edit above. The correct screw size for all of these X models is M2-4. I used some thin wire off of a small resistor I had.
  3. rob Brandt

Okay, so, I figured out where the problem with auto reverse comes in to play. The inertia roller is missing its spring and screw. I can't imagine where they went as they must have been there at one time or another. Strange...... Question is, is where to get them? Edit: Put in an email to Teac...
  4. rob Brandt

So, here's an update for this particular deck. The teac washers arrived for the tension rollers and, while the machine was apart, were installed along with new washers from ebay that were linked to on another site from here. I can't honestly say that any of my washers were correct after getting...
  5. rob Brandt

First R2R (Sony TC-255) - Where/How to Buy Tape/Reels?

No problems, just curious. Many years ago now I stopped buying used tape and went over to new in order to support the medium and the rather outrageous prices for used tape on Epray.
  6. rob Brandt

How bad is an audible scratch (that you can feel) for the stylus?

Years ago I bought a used VPI record cleaning machine--a wonderful accessory to have. Some records will take several cleanings to get all of the gunk out depending on the era they were produced--the "drug, sex and rock-n-roll" era there was a lot of smoke in the air from pot and ciggies--not to...
  7. rob Brandt

How bad is an audible scratch (that you can feel) for the stylus?

Vinyl records will crack. When they got "beat" enough from parties and whatnot, we used to toss them up in the air and watch them shatter as they hot the ground. No need to think of most of them as precious or truly rare back then--millions and millions of record pressings every year.
  8. rob Brandt

First R2R (Sony TC-255) - Where/How to Buy Tape/Reels?

No offense, but what, exactly, is "reconditioned" tape? How is it made better that what it was before they got it and reconditioned it?
  9. rob Brandt

They did, of course, so I added a belt. Yes, I know Sky doesn't like them, but I'll measure it and see what's what.
  10. rob Brandt

Sam--thanks. What grit sandpaper to attach to the pinch rollers?
  11. rob Brandt

Thanks, Sky. So, If I understand you, I should at least check to see if the voltage is correct on the opto sensor and, since I ordered another belt (hate going into this thing without everything needed if you are in there), remove and the flywheels and lightly buff them with what, 600 wet or...
  12. rob Brandt

well, clearly I don't have the right washers. that is probably some of it. The tension roller washers are not easy to come by. wow--just ordered 8 of the tension roller washers from Teac. $.15/each. best to have some spares with these things.
  13. rob Brandt

thanks. the link provided there no longer shows the part--sent an email. I did get them from Teac USA though. They only have them because it is a Tascam part number as well. They still support Tascam. They told me that Onkyo supports the consumer grade Teac parts such as the pinch roller...
  14. rob Brandt

Hi Sky-- I measured the new belt when it came and it fits your parameters--16.8". I pay attention to what you post. Always have. The old belt was quite loose and caused the slow start up speed. The tension roller washer caused the roller on the left side to have friction and not turn freely...
  15. rob Brandt

I was looking at page 6, section 2-10 of the repair manual. I took all of that out in order to clean and lubricate the right side inertia/idler roller. I am wondering now if it is off enough to cause the issue.
Back
Top Bottom