Recent content by RWood

1. RWood

ADVICE - Turn this Magnavox Astro Sonic into a Guitar Amp or Studio Monitors

Even if you blow it up you will still have learned a few things. Aside from bad speaker connections, the weak link that I found on these was the preamp coupling caps. They used electrolytics that just weren’t likely to last 60 yrs. If you want to make this stereo play, get the schematic for...
  2. RWood

Newer Dynakit PA-060 power transformer question

I like those Dynakit Parts bias balance kits, and I’ve copied them into other amps. Great for that job ……. But to check the loaded heater voltage you’ll need to remove the bottom panel and clip your leads to pins 2 and 7 of any of the power tubes. If you are wary of the voltages present - as...
  3. RWood

Newer Dynakit PA-060 power transformer question

I would base that decision on what the loaded filament voltage ends up being. The other voltages can be compensated for with bias adjustments. With a variac you’ll know how much, if any should be dropped. And then you can decide on a permanent solution like a bucking transformer. First you...
  4. RWood

Request Advice on Amplifier to Match with Altec Lansing Speaker

Try it and see. A hi level input should work and might surprise you. My earliest experiments as an eleven year old were plugging my clock radio speaker output into my guitar amp. IT’S ALIVE!!!! A little too much so, but that’s how I started thinking about what goes with what. ****** Do Not...
  5. RWood

Ampex SA-10 portable studio monitors with JBL LE-8

BOTL Garrard doesn’t even change the records. Sheesh. o_O Always love seeing your restorations, Don.
  6. RWood

Technics ST-S505

Yes, that’s how I read it. I’d start with some of the easy stuff, like contact cleaner on any controls, and a non residue cleaner like QD on the tuning cap.
  7. RWood

Grundig SO 262 U no sound

Excellent! Thanks for reporting back.
  8. RWood

Grundig SO 262 U no sound

The cathode voltage on pin 2 is too low and that is making the plate voltage too high. Each pair of EL95 have their cathodes connected, and there will be one resistor to ground and one capacitor to ground. The capacitors need to be replaced and the values don’t need to be exactly what was in...
  9. RWood

Zenith 49CZ902 Oval + 49-978 3” x 2 Box

That looks like one of the speakers that was meant to go with the “radial sound” stereo consoles Zenith offered at the end of the 50s. Two cabinets were designed to be placed to extend the stereo spread, and the amp used a “stereo range” pot to gradually make them out-of-phase to exaggerate the...
  10. RWood

Telefunken concerto

Might be the mfg. Here is a possibility: http://gemcon.com.tw/product/GDK.pdf Just replace with similar value. Radial caps offer more choices but axials might be easier to work with. That third cap is more likely 120uF 350V. Is that from the can? There are usually two high values around 100...
  11. RWood

RCA Victor Tube Amp SHP-8, choosing the right speakers

In its original home that amp would have been paired with light duty 12” speakers and a pair of paper tweeters all meant to work in a large, open cabinet. Bookshelf speakers are a world away from the above, but what you’ve got in single ended 6V6 amps with 6CG7s could pair beautifully ……...
  12. RWood

Request Advice on Amplifier to Match with Altec Lansing Speaker

Scott model 99 gets my nod. In your budget, too, if you are patient.
  13. RWood

Dual 1229 Motor Question

#4 machine screw 3/8” length with a washer, lock washer and nut. 12 items total. Was the motor noisy before?
  14. RWood

Dual 1229 Motor Question

Drilling out the bottom bearing seems to be the best way to clean and then relube it anyway. #4 machine screw sets go back in. User on VE named mrow sells kits for this job, along with the other handy parts. Let us know what you see about the disc.
  15. RWood

Telefunken console

Jeff’s experience above is a great illustration of the value of using a Dim Bulb Tester when firing up after your repair work. It could very well be that all his rework was good, but that the unit drew more than 1 amp at initial start. The solid state HT starts charging the filter caps...
Back
Top Bottom