Recent content by sabocat

1. sabocat

My new Darlington labs SUT

As stated above, I also purchased the MP-7. After three weeks of break-in I hooked it up to my Microzotl 2 in place of the Audible Illusions. Looks like I will need to be selling the Modulus 3. It got spanked. I ran the Darlington Labs with a VPI Scout/Clearaudio wood virtuoso. The SU-7 and...
  2. sabocat

My new Darlington labs SUT

I finally jumped on the Darlington labs bandwagon. I had recently fitted my Thorens with a Dynavector low output MC, and had been wanting to pair it with my Audible Illusions preamp in the big music room. I’m glad I did. It’s like an instant upgrade. Previously, I had been running a Scout...
  3. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

In terms of proper load, I noticed some issues with the 500 ohm setting at higher volumes. The company suggests 100 ohms. I tried that, but 200 ohms seems the best so far. Gain at 60 db.
  4. sabocat

New Production Tubes for VTA-70 ?

I recently purchased two quads of EL34b tung sol from Jim McShane and couldn’t be happier. I had been looking to replace my EH 6CA7 with the same, but Jim mentioned he doesn’t recommend them currently due to high bias. He suggested the tung sol instead.
  5. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

Ok so trying out the new Dynavector 10x5 low output. It sounds glorious right out of the box. I was looking for something a little less analytical than the ortofon bronze, something to balance out the bookshelf speakers and the EL84 amp, which run a tad lean. The dynavector is a perfect fit. It...
  6. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

The dynavector is in the mail. I switched out the Microzotl2 and put the Modulus 3 back into operation just to recheck it, since the new power tubes in the amp have settled in. Everything sounds just great. This is also the best my Modulus 3 has sounded. The previous owner did mention he had a...
  7. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

While waiting for the new cartridge I made a few changes. Found a cheap ultrasonic stylus cleaner and got the ortofon sounding really good. Retubed the output tubes on my big EL34 amp and put the Microzotl2 in place of the thirty year old Modulus 3. Honestly this is the best my system has...
  8. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

I’ve settled on the Dynavector low output 10x5. I’ll be using it with my venerable vista audio phono 2. It’s on order from a local brick and mortar store in Atlanta.
  9. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

Thanks for letting me know!
  10. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

I bet. I’m actually considering strongly the dynavector for a couple of reasons. It’s a good fit for the tonearm, and it’s chunky bass will be perfect for my bedroom setup. I listen to a lot of jazz and rock.
  11. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

I go back and forth on all this of course. I’m currently listening to Joe Henderson with the headphones and the Scout/virtuoso combo sounds pretty awesome. I’m toying with the idea of selling the ortofon and putting a dynavector on the thorens. I picked up a little Lance Cochrane EL84 amp last...
  12. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

To be honest I’m sort of curious how the clearaudio will sound on the thorens. I’ve already had the ortofon on the scout so I know it sounds great with that particular tonearm.
  13. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

Well now I feel like an idiot. I checked the compliance over at vinyl engine, and all I need to do is switch the clearaudio wood virtuoso from my VPI scout over to the thorens, and put the bronze on the scout…
  14. sabocat

Thorens TP16 mki tonearm

Back
Top Bottom