Recent content by sparklow

1. sparklow

Vintage drivers with rubber surrounds?

I have a pair of Marantz Imperial 5 speakers that bought approx. 1975. The woofers in this line of Marantz speakers had rubber surrounds on the woofers.
  2. sparklow

Mid Century speakers to refurbish or not?

Those speakers are the mutt's nuts, beautiful! Drivers look to be high grade. If they were mine, I would recap crossovers with some quality caps and enjoy them.
  3. sparklow

Seeking Owner's Manual for Advent Legacy Loudspeakers

There is no owner's manual for these speakers, at least none that I haver ever heard of. The closest that you are going to get is the Advent section on the "Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums". Join this group and you will find all you want or need to know about classic Advent speakers, all...
  4. sparklow

Help to identify Rev. # of Advent OLA crossover

Your caps are very likely to be original as they are the black with red ends Temple brand. These caps have not proven to be a stable long life cap and they should be replaced.
  5. sparklow

Updating Marantz Imperial 6

The original phenolic tweeter (a quick search will bring up some retailers) is still available. I have the same tweeter in my Marantz Imperial 5 and I like the sound. I agree with the above assessment, a new capacitor and a return to the original tweeters will bring this classic speaker back to...
  6. sparklow

Large Advent Woofer question. Help advent experts!

Speakers are OLAs, tweeters likely original, woofers are the later Advent replacement style as used in the later NLAs. The woofers are considered a correct acceptable substitute for the original Masonite woofers. The ripples in the woofers metal frame are indeed seen in many of these and should...
  7. sparklow

Technics SL-P102 DAC used?

I have a Technics SL-P102 that I like. I've been wondering if this player from 1989 might use an early version of MASH technology? Some Technics players of this vintage use Burr-Brown DACs while some appear to use a 18 Bit (MASH) type DAC. Anybody with knowledge of this here?
  8. sparklow

Veneered and re-capped a set of Original Large Advents

Nice job! I haven't tried my hand yet with a veneer job but admiring your work makes me want to try. By the way these speakers are not OLAs but rather NLAs.
  9. sparklow

What am I likely to have done?

If the old Panasonic amp is putting out high DC voltage at it's speaker outputs it is possible that you damaged your Kenwood speakers. You should make it a practice to test any older receiver or amp for high DC voltage at the speaker outputs before hooking it up to a good pair of speakers. The...
  10. sparklow

Pioneer SX-450 power switch

If you can get it apart while still in place that is how I would proceed. This Alps switch was used on various brands of 70's receivers. Removing the bottom plate and/or the front piece of the receiver may give you the access you need. Once you get it apart you can use a fingernail type file or...
  11. sparklow

Pioneer SX-450 power switch

You may have bought yourself a little time but there is no spray that will fix this issue. The switch must be taken apart and the contact points filed down and then thoroughly cleaned and the switch reassembled and set back in place. I have done several of these Alps switches with good results.
  12. sparklow

OLA woofers

The OLA woofers are what make the Advent an Advent. They are integral to the design, so it sounds to me like you need to find two. Advent OLA tweeters are the same in both the walnut and utility versions.
  13. sparklow

Original Shure stylus

Does anyone on this thread have an opinion of the Kyowa stylus for the Shure M95ED? Worth buying as a backup?
  14. sparklow

Original Shure stylus

I recently dug out a Shure M95ED cartridge which I bought new in the late 70's or early 80's. I had been using another vintage Shure, a M91, on my Pioneer PL-15DII turntable and I decided to reinstall the M95. This cartridge was already mounted on a headshell, so very simple. The M95 had an...
  15. sparklow

Disassembling New Large Advent (NLA) Tweeters

Those are some toasted tweeters. Have you given thought to a specific replacement tweeter? I have two spare tweeters set aside for my NLAs but the day might come when a modern replacement is required.
Back
Top Bottom