Recent content by StimpyWan

1. StimpyWan

Magnepan LRS and LRS+ Tips, Tricks and Mods

I'm not sure I follow? Can't the owner perform Danny's upgrade mod on one speaker, then compare that to the other stock speaker? Compare a series crossover to a parallel crossover in the process? I do it all the time, when modding speaker crossovers. A quick A/B test to ensure I'm heading in...
  2. StimpyWan

I'm definitely interested in your new GR Research crossover mods. Should sound very different, with an upgrade in parts and a new crossover design. Will you mod both speakers at once, or do one and compare? Thanks.
  3. StimpyWan

Oh, sorry, just remembered this...I was once at a JL Audio subwoofer demo, where the Rep played with the sub's variable phase control. The Rep could tweak the sub to where the bass was prominent to just the front of the room, the middle of the room, or the back of the room. He even shifted...
  4. StimpyWan

RSL Spedwoofers seem to receive very positive reviews (never personally heard one). They might be an option too, as they're affordable. Also, Martin Logan made a series of subs, that allowed forward or downward firing, depending on preference? Only available NOS or used now. As to phase, a...
  5. StimpyWan

That sounds more like a phase issue between the sub and the LRS's, than a level problem. A sub with a continuous variable phase knob would work best. That would allow one to tweak the sub phase, and blend it into the proper wave front with the speakers. i.e. both the sub and Magnepans firing...
  6. StimpyWan

If I recall correctly, the LRS speakers (as well as most Magnepans) use a 1st order series in phase crossover design. That's quite a different design, than the typical 2nd order parallel network. As such, listening position, (and mike placement), are much more critical for proper sound...
  7. StimpyWan

What are Dahlquist 20i speakers like?

I've heard different pairs of DQ20s on both conrad johnson and Audio Research tube gear (they like tubes). Both setups were great. The cj system maybe too warm and tubey, but still enjoyable. The 20s image like crazy, with a very palpable midrange and soundstage. No sense of speakers playing...
  8. StimpyWan

VMPS Super Tower IIa/r and an old friend

It's not like ST III's are small. So, fat chance of that happening. Maybe put some doilies on top, or a couple of potted plants. Something to disguise them. Yea, that'll work...! And glad to hear they are working again too. Congrats...! :D
  9. StimpyWan

Magnepan now offers upgraded parts in their speakers with the X upgrade program

Danny Ritchie, of GR Research, bashes Magnepan pretty hard with his Youtube upgrade videos. So Magnepan may be feeling some heat from that? But, in Magnepan's defence, Danny redesigns the speakers from a series first order design, to a second order parallel crossover. That alone will result...
  10. StimpyWan

Speakerlab kit speakers

Were any of the Nestorovic designs available as Speakerlab kits? I've always wanted to hear any of those models, as well as later Nestorovic designs, but have never had the opportunity.
  11. StimpyWan

Electrostatic vs planars

I currently own Martin Logan EM-ESL electrostatics and Monsoon FPF-1000 planar speakers. Some very good cone speakers too, from Acoustic Research and Infinity. Plus, I've heard Acoustat Ones, 1+1's and 2+2's, and Final Sound stats, VMPS planars, and Pipe Dream line arrays at shows. Finally...
  12. StimpyWan

Metallized Polypropylene vs non-polar electrolytics for cross-over caps larger than 10 uf ?

Parts Connexion and Sonic Craft both offer small and large value Mundorf E-Caps. Good caps too.
  13. StimpyWan

Opinions on buying a used Oppo

Oppo players are still covered by a flat-rate repair service. So, it seems like a no-brainer to give a player a try...! Good luck.
  14. StimpyWan

Cap matching (literally!); ClarityCaps physically different?

Me too. My excessive compulsive tendencies would emerge, and I'd have to match a pair of caps. Even now, I'd order a 3rd cap, and install the 2 that (hopefully) match...! :oops:
  15. StimpyWan

Adcom Amps

The GFA 5802 is one of the Mosfet based Adcom amps. A little warmer, and more tube-like in tone. My GFA 5400 is too, and works very nicely with my Martin Logan ESL-EM speakers. The 5400 is very good at image placement; you get a solid soundstage with the ability to see the performers...
Back
Top Bottom